How to report a slow tower in a rural area
jrp78
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a LTE only tower near my home. This tower used to produce speeds up to 40Mbps. However, now it will not produce it speed over ~10Mbps. In peak evening hours, I'm lucky to see 3-4 Mbps. Previously, it was no problem to see 10-20Mbps during peak evening hours. I have run speed tests all times of the day and night and seen no change. I have tested from multiple phones and hotspots.  When the tower was being constructed, a Verizon rep showed me the 700Mhz and 2000+ Mhz(cant remember the exact frequency) band the tower would provide. It's like the high band is dead. How can I get someone to look into why this tower is much slower than it used to be? Again, this is a very rural area. I cannot imagine there is saturation especially 24/7.

Re: How to report a slow tower in a rural area
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jrp78, thanks so much for reaching out to us about this. I totally understand your concern. Providing you with optimal service is our goal.We never want you to experience anything less. However, keep in mind that since the pandemic occurred there has been more congestion on all networks everywhere than normal. We can definitely do some troubleshooting to resolve the issue. Are you experiencing the issue everywhere you go or just at one particular location?  

jrp78
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply. This issue started well before the pandemic. It is one particular tower with the issue. The tower is in zip code 23974 and is on Rocky Mill Road.

0 Likes
jrp78
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bump. No response?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jrp78, we apologize for the delay in our response. In taking a closer look at the area, I do see that this is the only tower within about 12 miles. This means that any Verizon devices within the area would be using this particular tower. Are you experiencing any issues with calls or text messages? You indicated that this began prior to the pandemic,do you recall any changes or storms in the area around that time? How far do you need to be from this location before you see a change?  LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jrp78
Enthusiast - Level 2

Calls and text work fine. The tower just doesn't seem to have the bandwidth it used to. I could believe it was saturation if it was slow at times but it's slow 24/7. Like I said, previously, I'd see speeds up to 40Mbps early morning. Now, even early morning(5AM), it will be around 4-7Mbps. This is from line of site, approximately 1 mile away. I have driven to the tower and speeds are the same. I would invite anyone to come run speed tests at the site. Thanks for all your replies.

Tags (1)
Dsmorgan4

The tower that services my area is awful.  My speeds are only 1 or 2 Mbps.  My neighbors report the same problem.  This is unacceptable and needs to be fixed.  I am in a rural area and we depend on the service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dsmorgan4 Keeping you connected and providing the best speeds is important to us. Where is this happening? Are you having problems with your data speeds only? When did this begin? Share details. We are here to help. -Evelyn

0 Likes
Dsmorgan4

We are having problems with data speed only.  Voice and text work fine.  I have spoke with my neighbors and they also experience the same problem.  The tower that we use is located in the zip code 49349 on N. Pine Avenue.  The closest intersection is N pine Ave and Polk road.  When I do a speed test average download speed are between 1Mbps and 4Mbps but usually it is more like 1.  This has been a problem for a few months if not  longer. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Reliable service is a must and we are here to help. We would like to take a closer look at your service area. Please send us a Private Note at your earliest convenience to better assist.

~Vic

0 Likes