I get no service or data in my new apartment in OC. Solutions?
ASP1989

I just moved into a new apartment in Fountain Valley, CA. Zip Code 92708.  I am having severe problems with my cell reception in and around my apartment.  I have attempted to use a cell phone signal boosters/repeaters but I am on the ground floor of the building and I cannot run cable to the roof because It is a large community of apartments with rules and I have someone living directly above me.  Nothing I have attempted so far has helped at all.  How can this be resolved?   

I have friends that have visited with T-Mobile and AT&T as service providers and their phones have worked perfectly fine.  Also if I walk out to the very end of the building where the main road is, my bars jump from none to  3/4 bars instantly and my data goes from 1x to LTE.  It must just be the way the building is situated in front of the nearest tower is what I am guessing.  I don't want to switch services, any solution would be appreciated.

Thank you,

AP

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I get no service or data in my new apartment in OC. Solutions?
rcschnoor
Legend

You could always purchase a network extender if you have broadband internet service in you apartment. Due to the limitations of cellular technology, Verizon cannot guarantee service in buildings because the building materials are capable of blocking cellular signals.

Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender - Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
ASP1989

It is inside and outside and all around the building that I get no service.   I have to exit my apartment and walk 600ft away from the building in order to get any activity, and I'm in the middle of a suburban highly populated area that according to verizon's coverage map is covered in "red".

0 Likes
ASP1989

Furthermore I am not asking for any guarantees I am asking for a solution.  Please tell me if I have this right about the network extender... I buy this device $250 from verizon, and I plug it into my existing internet connection which is billed and is entirely separate from verizon. So now I am $250 in the whole, and my phone is now consuming broadband on my home internet which also has a cap, as well as 4G LTE data from Verizon at the same time?  Not only that but there is no way to limit who is capable of using the device?  So anyone standing outside my home could connect and eat up my broadband data and there is nothing I could do about it?  How is that a solution, it sounds more like a scam.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

http://s7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Devices/Samsung/4glte-network-ext/samsung-4g-lte-networ...

Incredibly, it looks like you may be correct, there's no way to restrict who has access to the device. For their 3G device, I think they did have a web-based means to configure the service and restrict access. With this one, I'm not sure you can do that.

And I'm sure, you'd be so well liked by other people in the building that attach to your extender, rather than a tower...

Ouch.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Of course, if your phone is wifi calling capable, you could simply activate wifi calling for service in your home.

ASP1989 wrote:

How is that a solution

There isn't always a "solution" if you want to stay with your current provider and sometimes there isn't even a "solution". NO provider has the best service in all areas. Cellular technology will ALWAYS have dead areas, even in highly populated places, and you need to find the provider which has the fewest dead areas in the places you frequent. Sometimes a "solution" means switching providers but that may ALSO come with service which is unacceptable or non-existent in areas you currently have good service.

0 Likes