I have so many questions but I guess I can only ask a 4G one here….
NotSure
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello-

I have a basic MOTO phone that was free when I signed up with Verizon 3 years ago and after I wanted internet access when I was traveling I purchased the Mifi2200.  Now, when I sign in it says I can have $30 for the New Every Two for the phone (I do not understand how I can get a decent phone for $30, but at least I have something since I hear they are getting rid of the New Every Two.  Moreover the MiFi 2200 account is due for the New Every Two and a product upgrade (whatever that means) too.  I heard the New Every Two amounts are going away so I better use them (They might have already gone away)

In looking for a smartphone or an iPhone (I have never had either or text messaging or a phone that can hook up to the internet),  but my main questions here is about this 4G.  I will just spell the questions out and hopefully some should will feel sorry for a person like me who does not understand most of the techie stuff and really has a hard time using it.  But here are my questions.

1. What is the difference between 4G and 4G LTE?

2. Why are they selling 4G USB devices, phones, notebooks, etc. if the 4G (I will use 4G to mean both 4G and 4GLTE since I assume the 4G LTE is  a better service) network is in such a small area of the country besides every airport?  When I read about 4G devices to surf the internet, I keep reading posts that say if you have a 4G device and 4G is not available or you are traveling and going in and out of 4G areas, that the connection is dropped if you were hooked up with 4G and suddenly entered a 3G area without 4G.  This seems like a major hassle and I am wondering if this is true?

3. If I purchase a 4G device will it automatically connect to the 4G network if it is available or do I have to know if it is available or not and connect a different way depending on if 4G or 3G is available?

4. does anybody know (I have asked Verizon and have been told no, but I seem to get random answers for most questions I ask Verizon employees) if 4G phones are avalable and if so does the user have the same problem when they are on a call and go in and out of 4G/3G areas?  (as far as calls being dropped or can the device switch automatically without any trouble)?

5. If you were interested in a 4G or 4G LTE device and you did not have 4G on your area would you wait until 4G is available in your area or would you go ahead and get the smartphone, data device, or whatever you need now and just use it and wait until the 4g network is up in your area?

thanks a ton for any help.  I really appreciate it.  I am not sure of I should use the New Every Two for the MIFi2200 and get a 4G usb device for my macBook Pro and use my new Every Two and product upgrade for either a smartphone or an iphone and if you think I should get the iPhone should I get the one from Apple or the one from Verizon, or does it even matter?  I keep reading that Verizon's iPhone which uses something like CDME is nowhere near as good as ATT's service which can take talking on the phone and looking up something on the internet at the same time, and other things that I did not understand.

If you would not recommend I get the iPhone, what are some of the good smart phones that have apps available and are relatively easy to use?

(Not sure why but when I clicked "Post" the Message flashed and this appeared in red at the bottom; "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed.")

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I have so many questions but I guess I can only ask a 4G one here….
Not applicable
You probably should do some reading and research of your own to learn more about this. Verizon has not introduced any 4G phones yet, but will very soon. They are in the process of rolling out their 4G network nationally over the next several years. 4G phone and data devices are backward compatible with 3G. 4G is faster than 3G, therein the advantage. You'll have to learn the difference in the various phones to decide for yourself what are your needs and which phone/price meets those needs.
0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Welcome NotSure;   You've come to the right place to do some reading and research of your own.

There are many knowledgable people here who can give you honest answers you might not get from "official" Verizon help.  And you'll get the attention of some helpfull Verizon staff that have been known to do things the "phone help" couldn't do.

As for your well-listed questions, all I can offer you is my very humble opinions & experiences.

1.  4G (fourth generation) has been determined to be a marketing term, meaning "the next big thing"  from who-ever is saying it.

4G LTE is Verizon's version as opposed to Sprint's, AT&T's, & T-Mobile's.   All the nerds I know are telling me LTE has the greatest potential, so I bet on that horse.  (I also went with Beta-Max btw)

2.   If you're not emersed in a 4G area, I'd wait it out.   Real World Experience: 

4G is great  Hulu.com pops up, no buffering anywhere. 

My current 3G:  I can't even enjoy a simple YouTube.   I have to tab to a text page to kill time waiting for the download.   If I need  some serious files, I drive 15 miles into Atlanta (4g) to get 'em.

I don't know anything about the phones  (I just love the banter going on here).  From the sound of things it doesn't look like you're going to get much information from Verizon, and all else is un-informed rumors you don't want to commit to.

Good Luck

0 Likes
NotSure
Enthusiast - Level 2

jimfitz

as my post says i have done some research.  This is part of my research.  I appreciate your opinion but if you do not want to help someone and give them any suggestions, I would just leave their post alone.  I know that 4G is faster than 3G.

Thanks

0 Likes
NotSure
Enthusiast - Level 2

Neander-

Yes this is part of my research and I appreciate your opinions.  It helps me to hear what other people have done when making a decision, especially since so much has changed since I started with Verizon and I never gave the high-tech products much thought.  Getting the MiFI200 was a big deal for me, but that has ben a big let-down, even with tech support.  4G is not in Salt Lake City,Utah yet, but I hear that you can still get the devices.  I would like to make a decision before they stop the New Every Two, and I lose the $35 for the phone and $50 for the data device.  I might have already lost that since I forget right now what the ending date is.

Sounds like we have the same 3G experience.  So if you go to Atlanta that must mean you have a 4G device?

I missed what you mean by I came to the right place and at the end saying it doesn't look like you're going to get much info. from Verizon.  Really, besides fitz's post, in other forums, once in a while someone will come along and give me their advice and some people are very helpful.  I like to ask and learn and ultimately make up my mind.  I just do not want to lose the New Every Two amounts that will be going away soon.

thanks.

0 Likes
Not applicable

When you post on a public forum, you don't get to choose who responds. All the questions you asked have been asked and answered many many times{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

NotSure: "I missed what you mean by...."  I was just getting in a dig at Jim.  I sometimes wonder why he's here myself.

I originally came to this forum to find out why my speakers cackled like geiger counters when I was on 4G.  Never found out.  Once I got here I found that was the least of my problems.   Now I like the noise because it let's me know I'm still connected.

I've got the new Pantech UML290 and I move monthly between 4 & 3G areas.    I notice you're still with the USB760.   The old 3G network(?) you're on now is not the same as the new 4G/3G.    In my experience the old 3G/USB760 was/is more reliable and as slow  as the the new 3G.     I don't know how long Verizon is going to keep the old USB760 network going, but  like I said, If you're not deep in a 4G area, I'd stay with the USB760.    Just my opinion.

As for the New Every Two,   That's a tough call.            Good luck.

0 Likes
NotSure
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe my posts are courteous.  I would stay away from Posts that you cannot be at least decent to the poster.  Some are new to this and have nowhere near the knowledge you have. If you cannot be courteous, maybe you can pass it by.

Thanks.

0 Likes
NotSure
Enthusiast - Level 2

Neander-

I guess I need to update that equipment info.  Currently, I have a Moto phone that is way old-very basic, and I have the MIFi2200, which I have had for at least 2 years.  I started with the USB760, but that was way slow and I found out if I go out on the porch things picked up some.  A Rep here recommended the Mifi so I could put it out on the porch.

So is the Pantech a USB device?  I was thinking about getting the USB 4G which I can't remember the name (There are 2 in the store on the website).  Your device that is a 3G/4G when you are on the internet and go between 3G and 4G networks does your Pantech drop the connection and you have to reconnect in the new either 3G or 4G network?  How do you like the Pantech UML290?

Do you have one device for your phone and data connection?

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

OOOKAAAAYY;   Your devices are over my head. The smart guys, Verizon & others, should be on the job tomorrow -Monday and you'll get better feedback.        

I noticed that large parts of Salt Lake City are 4G.    Zero in on the coverage map   (refresh "4G data") and you'll see where you sit.

The only person I know who stays connected while traveling (or tries to)  is Toughbook.    I just re-connect the best I can where ever I am.

A little confusion:  The 4g network  -see map-  is "4G here,  3G everywhere else"

The "old" usb760 3G network, though still in place, is 3G everywhere 4G nowhere.

The hardware(s)  match two entirely different networks.   You've gotta buy all new hardware to go 4G.

and, unless you want to pay for two plans, your old stuff is useless.   I can't whip out my old USB760 and connect with it anymore.  It's a Whole new game.   I'm committed.

I like thePantech when I'm in 4G, but sucksfor me when I in the 3G hinterlands.   The other hardware choice is the LG VL600

I don't know anything about the phones, but my earlier comment about Verizon rumors not helping comes largly from several discussions raging like this one.           Happy Hunting.

0 Likes