Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
Houseof6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same thing here.  Its funny we have been using our data the same for ever.   Last 2 months all of a sudden our data usage is going crazy!   We have 2 droid ultras!    We have WiFi at home.  I think since there are a bunch of us going through this we should all get together and have this looked into.  This is ridiculous!  We have been customers for 12 years!!

ohioanthony
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same issue using WiFi. Using gb's while on my home WiFi. Everyone should go in on a class action lawsuit because this is a scam and fraud to the highest degree!!!

oneilb83
Contributor - Level 1

This is not a scam and Wi-Fi does not use data only 3G or 4G LTE does

0 Likes
Novemberhare
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here. Daughter uses YouTube only at the house. Never outside. And yet we almost cap our data every month. Checking the data usage,  it is YouTube that's hitting it all. Samsung galaxy s4. I agree. This is redicilous.

davidhj
Enthusiast - Level 1

I continue to have this pattern with Iphone 5. (presumably it happens with other newer smart phones as well).

When at home with your own wifi available (or anywhere with wifi), turn off the phone's 'cellular' setting so it can not access LTE or 3G even if it wanted to. Also when out of the home quit the many apps that can build up not actually being used by you but still open and active in the background.

Personally I do not think verizon is ripping us off or fraudulent-- It is the phones themselves and certain apps that draw data for a lot of reasons....

Craig_oz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have also been seeing the same issue. I have been blaming my son. This makes me wonder. I am also very concerned that this has not been answered by Verizon yet.

I am going to dig into our records for detailed usage and try to get to the bottom of what is going on. This sounds fraudulent.

mxreuv
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same problem and it only started when I upgraded to my Galaxy S5. I never went over 1GB and now I am at my limit in a couple days. It is ridiculous and no one will help. I am always on Wi-Fi at home and work and still it uses data. Verizon is ridiculous

heavyjay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here except that it's very small amounts. My iPhone is always in the house and always connected to wi-fi, yet the usage logs say I'm using small amounts of data (highest says 46 Kb) every 6 hours.

amandahudson79
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem. Me and my sister just switched from sprint to Verizon.  We shared 8g of data and didn't use half of that a month. And I would constantly have my iheart radio on and fb and watching videos. Now I'm afraid to do anything with my phone. There are three of us on this plan now with 10g of data and in less than a half of a month we have used. We all use wifi at home, and phones are shut off at work. There is NO WAY we have really used that much data. 5.6g in less than two weeks? No way! It's obvious with these many complaints it is on your end!

amandahudson79
Enthusiast - Level 1

My sister and I were with Sprint for 10 years and we just switched to Verizon.  We shared 8g of data and never used more than 3g of that even with both of us using iheart radio,  fb, game apps, watching videos,  and downloading. We had to switch service due to no coverage where we moved. We did add another person to our plan and decided to get 10g of data just to be on the safe side. In less than two weeks we have used over half our data. We have wifi at the house and phones are cut off at work. We all noticed that we supposedly used over 2g in the first week and from then on all of us made sure to turn off everything and not use any streaming apps, yet we have somehow used more data, according to Verizon, this week while being careful.

I have the Galaxy S5 and the other two are the new Droid phones. According to my usage in my settings I haven't even used 1g of data where Verizon says I have used over that.  I make sure I go to my task manager and turn off everything after I use it even when connected to wifi. I shouldn't have to worry about things like that. I use to leave everything up and running on my Galaxy s4 with out any worry.

Please help me understand why your service is so different? I'm paying more money a month with you guys only to get screwed on my data usage. I hope you guys can fix this issue. 

I don't need a refresh on my phone. Every thing is working as it should. I even have my background data restriction on.

I am a CSR for a phone company,  I know how to trouble shoot.  This data usage thing is obviously something going on with Verizon and there are tons of people with the same complaint to back up my argument. 

There is NO WAY we have used as much data as Verizon claims we have made. How do we fix this?