Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
Ledsteplin
Contributor - Level 3

I doubt this is a Verizon problem. When I look at the data in My Verizon, I see a lot of tiny usages. Like.003 mb. This is while on wifi. They don't add up to much during the monthly billing cycle. It started with 4G/LTE. I never saw it on 3G, when I had my iPhone 4. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to know what causes it. Most data usage complaints on this forum are the users simply using too much off wifi. But try this: Go to Settings>General>Reset >Reset Network Settings. Tap that. Your phone will reboot. Then add your wifi passcode back in. My tips: 1. Stay on wifi 2. Off wifi, don't do videos, intense games, streaming music, or a lot of messaging, iMessage or others like WhatsApp. Especially if photos and videos are shared. 3. Turn off background App refresh for all apps. 4. Turn off Push for emails. Use fetch.

cristobalhow
Enthusiast - Level 3

It IS only a Verizon problem. The only solution they offer - in-store and

on their customer service line - is to turn off as many smartphone features

as possible and only use Wi-Fi. Exactly why have a smartphone then?

After 2 months with Verizon and its senseless spikes in data charges, and

after being charged twice for exceeding my 3GB data plan, I switched back

to T-Mobile 3 weeks ago and have stayed far under the same 3GB cap. I have

purposely tried to burn through as much T-Mobile data as possible on the

same types of Samsung phones/tablet to produce the same billing issue I had

with Verizon. I cannot use anything close to the data Verizon claimed I was

using.

In short: (Far more smartphone use on T-Mobile) + (Far less data use

appearing on my T-Mobile bill than with Verizon) = (This is a Verizon bug

that Verizon is doing nothing to fix). I got $800 in Verizon early

termination fees rebated by T-Mobile too. Only by switching will Verizon

get the point.

Good luck.

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 5:44 AM, Ledsteplin <forums@verizonwireless.com>

Tidbits
Legend

If you look at the other customer boards. It's a common problem with idevices. There's a temp fix from Apple forums and it's been posted here a few times. Since most people don't go through all the threads it ends up getting buried.

WiFi goes to sleep when you screen goes off. This is an iOS default thing that happens and you have to change your WiFi settings.

0 Likes
Not applicable

The problem with sleep mode is if you keep the device plugged into the wall socket and turn cellular data off completely while using WiFi the so call huge data will not happen.

Recently when I took my wife's iPad mini from Sprint to AT&T (Verizon would not allow it on their data network even though Apple stated the mini with retina display second generation most certainly works on any cdma or gsm network) the first spike was 4.5 MB very little amount. Its at 55 MB now.

AT&T also has free WiFi with this tablet data plan. Mostly Starbuck locations etc. But its not bad for $30 a month and you can stop it anytime you want. Use it one month don't use it or turn it back on three months from now.

So far the speed over Sprint is fantastic. And no hassles while at the AT&T store. Highly recommend.

Happy Sunday!

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its pretty clear that theres a problem here.

Hey Verizon reps... Instead of asking us to "check our apps data usage levels" why don't you guys get together and fix this mess!

I have a small theory (its only a theory) about whats going on. Doesn't fully explain things but I think it helps some.

When computers have two pipelines to the internet the OS will choose the faster of the two. I think something similar is happening here. When connected to 4g and WiFi some people's 4g connections are actually faster than their wifi connection. Such would be the case with a lower end DSL for example.

I dont know, like I said its only the theory. Doesnt explain things when cellular data is turned off either.

Verizon, PLEASE help us and fix this disaster.

ilealj

This is happening to me too. At first I thought it was the addition of Instagram. But I don't check my instagram at 5AM and even if I did I was at home and connected to my wifi network. And, yes, helpful Verizon people, I did check the sleep settings on the wifi. Please fix this problem!

0 Likes
classaction2787
Enthusiast - Level 1

Now since this morning at work im getting no data over my wifi connection. I am connected to wifi on a network that is proven to by my coworker sitting next to me connected on his phone. My gs5 says nothing about a weak signal or no internet connection and looks like it does when it normally functions but theres no connection. once again it is not my network and it has worked one time today for 20 mins so its not my work blocking my phone.

0 Likes
MelRoxSmith
Enthusiast - Level 1

After reading all the comments, it's more that quite obvious that this data gobbling over WiFi is only occurring mainly with the Samsung Galaxy 5 and iPhone 5. Maybe Verizon should indeed do an immediate investigation or at least offer blanket apologies alongside an additional promotional data allowance to each customer with that type of device to make up for the discrepancy.

I, myself, am a stay-at-home mom, where the only time I get out of the house is for 3 hours at night when I have classes and immediately connect to the school's WiFi network. I just noticed that my data usage has been going up, when it really should never be seen at over 1gb/month due to how much it's used outside the home. I don't watch videos (BIG DATA eater), don't download/upload unless on WiFi, and the only streaming I do use is Pandora for a 15-30 minute drive up to 2x a week.

My husband was made aware to this issue today and as the primary account holder, was on hold forEVER waiting for a representative to just answer his call that he ended up giving up since a new cycle starts tomorrow and we haven't OFFICIALLY gone over, only just barely. Either way, I would like this issue to be resolved before it gets to a point where he would actually NEED to purchase more data instead of being charged an arm and a leg for an overage of 0.25gb.

My Quick-Fix Solutions For Galaxy S5 users:

Phone Settings:

Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced -> Make sure you have "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" set to 'always'. Also, make sure the box for "Smart network switch" is left 'unchecked'.

In the Google Play Store:

Play Store -> Settings -> Make sure "Auto-update apps" is set to 'Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only.'

If you have the Facebook app:

Open ->Click the 5th Icon (Looks like 3 Horizontal Lines) -> Scroll Down to Help & Settings -> Click App Settings -> Make sure "Video Auto-Play" is set to 'Wi-Fi only.'

If you have the Instagram app:

Open -> Click the 5th Icon (Looks like a head & shoulders) -> In the top right corner, click the Vertical Dots icon -> Settings -> Videos -> Under "Data Usage" make sure 'Preload on Wifi Only' is checked.

That's all I have for now, hope it helps as a quick-fix and I hope this issue finally gets resolved!!!

jtwood2

I'm in the same boat as everyone else.  My wife and I combined often times wouldn't use more then 1 GB but average usage was between 1 & 2.  For the past few months we've gotten close to or exceeded the 4 GB limit with no changes to our usage at all.  It's frustrating and seems a bit sketchy to me that randomly the usage has double or more for no reason at all.

0 Likes
kimreis

We are having the SAME EXACT ISSUE with my daughter's iPhone 5S.  She never goes over her data limit.  We recently switched to Verizon's Share plan and we have 6 gig of data to share between 3 phones.  PLENTY since most of the time I'm on wifi.  And in only 10 days - my daughter's device has used 3 gig!  Before changing to this plan, her normal usage in a whole month was 1.8 to 2 gig.  It's as if her usage has doubled and many of the instances are at 2 or 3am when the phone is in my bedroom, not being used.  Tech support was of no help and I'm really getting upset over this.  What can we do???!!!

0 Likes