Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
Not applicable

gamefixer wrote:

Complaint filed! Thanks for that link!

I REALLY hope that the FCC climbs up Verizon's backside about this.

hard to climb up someone's back about something when they aren't doing anything wrong. Keep up the delusion of the evil companies doing evil things instead of actually fixing your own problem.

0 Likes
gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your right, Verizon isnt doing anything wrong. Its OUR fault that THIER phones are switching to LTE even when we have them connected to Wi-Fi and downloading stuff that we know nothing about.

Sure.... Old phone (3g, non LTE) NEVER went above 1gig per month. Now all of a sudden two phones on LTE (4G whatever you want to call it) NO CHANGE IN PHONE USAGE and 2 gigs is done in less than two weeks a month.

Your right.... The rest of us are wrong.

LOL

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon doesn't make the phones. Whatever, file your complaints nothing will get done. Even if the FCC did investigate they will not find Verizon is doing anything nefarious and you will still have your issue. Obviously actually solving your problem is not what you really want to do. And yes you are wrong. Explain this. How is it that I never have these issue? If Verizon is just screwing everyone over how come my account with our 5 lines don't have these problems? Hmmmmm.

Most of the complaints are from iPhone users and this is known problem with this device. So maybe complain to Apple not Verizon. or maybe complain to the apps makers that default to mobile data even if you have it set for wi-fi.  Take a few minutes out and learn to configure your device. It has been said again and again you can simply turn mobile data OFF. Why are you against doing it if you are using wi-fi anyway? Why would you need mobile data on?

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

we have a S3 and an iPhone4 on our Verizon account. BOTH devices use way more data than my wifes previous VX9700 did. All she did was change from that device to the S3 and her data usage went up 10 fold. She does turn off mobile data but when she does she cant text/email/web browse when she's not in WiFi. Not a huge issue, she just has to remember to turn it back on. She has been powering her phone down at night and thats helped a little. Funny thing is that her phone still shows usage AT NIGHT WHEN ITS OFF and Verizon says "you must have left it on that night." Also, when at home she is connected to WIFI so mobile data enabled or not the phone SHOULD NOT use any mobile data when she's at home but it does.

As far as it being the devices and not the service... I dont have this problem with an iPhone5c with my carrier. Not even close. Theres something specifically wrong with Verizons service and the way the phones communicate with their network. I've got friends on other carriers (2 S5's and a Note) and they never reach their monthly data limit either.

My wife was given a notepad for resigning with Verizon. When she got it home we set it up on the WiFi and off she went to Netflix. THE NEXT DAY she got a notice telling her that she had already used her monthly data allotment. SHE WAS CONNECTED TO THE WIFI THE ENTIRE TIME!!!! Yeah, you can say its the devices fault but thats BS. Verizon has these things setup to PICK AND CHOOSE the network they connect to for data. 

Think what you want to think mrhelper, Verizon is at fault here and with any luck will be taken to task.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

When you switch phones, the default settings on some of the apps on the new phone may not necessarily be the same setting you had on the old phone. Have you gone into your menu to determine which apps are using the most data? Have you gone into those apps to check what settings you have for data usage? Syncing photos/video/music via cellular data can be a MAJOR data hog. Make sure you have any apps which would do so(dropbox, facebook, instagram, Google Photos, Google Music, etc...) set to sync only via wifi. This is the FIRST thing I do whenever I switch phones. Just because you had a setting on an app on a previous phone, don't assume it will be the same on the new phone.Smiley Happy

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm out of town so I cant check my wife's device right now but something called "update somethingorother" is whats using a lot of data on her phone. No idea about my sons phone.

Neither phone have could apps installed (Dropbox and the like) and neither sync pics to anything else.

I do remember changing those settings on my phone though. Good advice for all in the thread.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Do either of the phones have Facebook installed? THIS is an example of an app which CAN have settings such that it syncs ALL photos/video taken with your phone to Facebook.

Don't be so quick to say there are no apps which sync pics to anything else. There are pre-loaded apps which sync multiple things depending on the in-app settings.

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wife's phone does but not my sons phone. My phone does as well and as I've said, never had a data problem with my phone/service.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Do you all have the same phone, same settings, same installed apps, use the phone in the exact same way???

My wife and I drive very similar cars yet she uses almost twice as much gas as I do. Couldn't possibly be because we drive with different styles, different mileage, etc...

0 Likes
Not applicable

rcschnoor wrote:

Have you gone into those apps to check what settings you have for data usage?

Why bother with that when you can accuse the carrier of doing fraudulent things and file a report with the FCC. that will magically fix it. And I get to feel better about myself for discovering this evil plan and taking down the large evil corporation.

0 Likes