Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
w9awx
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's all great there Tiddbits, but, our data usage hasn't miraculously changed.  We haven't starting using 4 times the data in two weeks.  How do you explain that?  We use the same apps, get the same amount of emails, mostly over wifi I might add. We are showing 2g in the last two days alone according the Verizon's website.  That is about 2 weeks worth of data, not two days.  Now I am having to fork out extra money a month to cover these overages that nobody can explain how they are happening to my satisfaction.  I am starting to regret changing from Sprint to Verizon thinking we were moving to a better network.

0 Likes
Not applicable

w9awx wrote:

That's all great there Tiddbits, but, our data usage hasn't miraculously changed.

and Verizon isn't magically adding data to your bill. Have you bothered checking the device and see which apps are using data?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There's a difference between content. You MAY think you are using the same content.

Google the size of a SD movie and then Google the size of a 1080P movie. The sizes are different. While on Sprint you would be using SD content for most things and while on Verizon with LTE you would be getting 1080p content. Your usage has changed but you didn't notice because you aren't looking at the file sizes between the two.

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

So it would seem that we have at least one Verizon employee answering (or trying to) our questions on this thread, I like that... Smiley Happy

Answer me this though. How would a phone thats OFF (as in powered DOWN) use cellular data??? Reason I ask is this. Since I came across this thread and the other respondents that have a similar problem I've been having my wife power her phone off at night when she charges it. Were seeing data usage in the middle of the night while the phone is off. WTH is that? Read this thread, I'm not the only one seeing this pattern.

This next bill and the one after that will be very telling. My son wont be getting his phone back until Jan 2 2015. Its OFF, not even going to get turned on until Jan 2 2015. I'm sure it will have data usage on it though.

And to let the cat out of the bag my iPhone5c is on AT&T's network. I use it ALL THE TIME and never reach anywhere near 2 gigs a month in data. I have not told the phone to do diddly squat in regards to data either. It connects to WiFi when I'm at home or work and disconnects when I'm not.

This is a VERIZON issue. Problem isolated to one carrier.

Not applicable

gamefixer wrote:

So it would seem that we have at least one Verizon employee answering (or trying to) our questions on this thread, I like that...

Answer me this though. How would a phone thats OFF (as in powered DOWN) use cellular data??? Reason I ask is this. Since I came across this thread and the other respondents that have a similar problem I've been having my wife power her phone off at night when she charges it. Were seeing data usage in the middle of the night while the phone is off. WTH is that? Read this thread, I'm not the only one seeing this pattern.

This next bill and the one after that will be very telling. My son wont be getting his phone back until Jan 2 2015. Its OFF, not even going to get turned on until Jan 2 2015. I'm sure it will have data usage on it though.

And to let the cat out of the bag my iPhone5c is on AT&T's network. I use it ALL THE TIME and never reach anywhere near 2 gigs a month in data. I have not told the phone to do diddly squat in regards to data either. It connects to WiFi when I'm at home or work and disconnects when I'm not.

This is a VERIZON issue. Problem isolated to one carrier.

A) No Verion employees are posting here.

B) Explain how this is a Verizon issue. Please explain in technical terms how data is magically added? I mean since you have all the answers this should be an easy one for you.

0 Likes
gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

A) Fine

B) Data is being used by my wifes phone WHEN ITS OFF... I'm not telling you that data is magically appearing, its there on my bill. The reps in the stores and the CSR's on the phone suggest that we forgot to turn the phone off those nights. BS! You have to agree that something is not right with that, no?

I can only speak from my experiences.

0 Likes
Not applicable

What does the phone say? My phone says 532 MB used so far. Verizon says 533 MB. This is over 23 days so far this period. Explain that?

0 Likes
gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

that I dont know, I'll have to look at that when I get home.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

gamefixer wrote:

A) Fine

B) Data is being used by my wifes phone WHEN ITS OFF... I'm not telling you that data is magically appearing, its there on my bill. The reps in the stores and the CSR's on the phone suggest that we forgot to turn the phone off those nights. **! You have to agree that something is not right with that, no?

I can only speak from my experiences.

She leaves her phone off all day?  Did you know not all towers reports all usage and at times doesn't get adjusted to the correct time?  I notice this from time to time, and there's even a disclaimer about this especially when on a "roaming" tower.

gamefixer
Enthusiast - Level 3

She turns it off at night when she goes to bed. She never travels so unless something is going on with Verizon's local towers her phone is never roaming.

0 Likes