Re: I'm accruing data usage when I'm connected to wifi
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you check the wifi sleep policy?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
WebBull
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same exact problem.This is without a doubt a scam. Solid wifi connection while at home, wifi turned on phone (not sleeping, never does), getting charged for data. Complete BS. Will be filing complaint and look for a class action lawsuit.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Caitip28!

Let's look into this! Have you had an opportunity to check the sleep policy for the wifi radio on your phone? Which device do you have? When did the issue begin?

Thanks,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

davidhj,

I am so sorry to hear about the odd data usage that is happening on your device. Lets investigate. What type of device do you have? Have you checked to make sure there are not applications running in the background on the device? Do you have the Verizon Cloud on your device? If so, please make sure it is set to Wifi only. Cloud App>Tap on 3 lines (Top left)>Settings

LindseyT_VZW

0 Likes
cristobalhow
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just spoke with the Verizon store who sold me two Samsung Galaxy 4s and a tablet a few weeks ago.  After upping our data plan twice (to 3MB), and after getting a data usage alert every 5-6 days, I let them know that I am entirely dissatisfied with their data product and service.  Unlike our previous 2MB plan with T-Mobile, we are not using any video or music streaming functions, and we are using WiFi at both home and office.  Still, the Verizon service is burning through data at a much quicker rate.  This leads me to believe that Verizon is calculating data differently (to its advantage), and that the data "toll" kicks in any time there is a temporary break in WiFi service.  Also, why should a customer have to keep turning functions on and off, checking the update functions for background apps, making sure windows are closed, checking the WiFi bar, and basically jumping through hoops just to use the normal functionality of a smartphone?  It is the opposite of a seamless experience, it is causing the customer to think of ways to not be using the service in order to avoid exceeding data caps.  I am going to the Verizon store tonight for the consultant to check any background usage, but I am inclined to simply cash out and cross Verizon off my list of trusted service providers.  Good luck everyone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello cristobalhow, help is here front and center! We truly wouldn't want to lose you as a customer with us. What types of functions do you use both phones and the tablets for? Please check out our data calculator to see which functions take more data: http://vz.to/1mpQFzg Did you previously have 3G devices and move to 4G phones from T-Mobile? Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Lucky007
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think the same. Law suit. This is ridiculous!  My daughter has had her mobile data turned off on her phone and the Verizon is saying she is using data on her phone. It's been going on through 3 billing cycles now. I have hours on the phone with them already! 2 regular customer service reps and 2 tech reps plus a supervisor tech rep. No one has an explaination. They want to have my daughter do an entire back up of her phone so she can do a facrore reset of her phone. They are thinking it's a software issue? This seems like it's more of a problem then that! My daughters phone should not be sucking up astronomical amounts of mobile data especially when she keeps her mobile data shut off at all times. Other than when she may have to use it from time to time.

Last night (July, 19, 2014) I got off the phone with the tech supervisor (Joe in California). My daugters mobile data had been turned to off. It is now the next day (July 20, 2014) and she had already used 111mb of data. Her mobile data has been turned off the entire time!!!! What is going on????

michandjoe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue.  Verizon  is crooked  ! I wish I wasn't  under their contract so I can switch

michandjoe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your update wrecked my note 3 also.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello michandjoe!

We definitely don't want to lose you! Let's see what's going on once and for all! What model device do you have? What's making you think that data is being used when using Wifi? Have you checked your data details on My Verizon to compare? Please supply me with some more data, let's figure this out together!

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support

0 Likes