IPv6 for my 4G embedded Dell modem
joestern

I've got a 64-bit Windows 7 Dell Latitude with a Noveltel-based E362 (sold by Dell as a DW5800 WWAN device). It connects great to the 4G network, but does not have the IPv6 protocol installed. I need IPv6 to use DirectAccess (MIcrosoft's clientless VPN).

Other 3G Verizon Wireless modems support IPv6. However, I can't see how or where to install this missing protocol for the device. Does anyone out there know how to do this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: IPv6 for my 4G embedded Dell modem
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

joestern wrote:

I've got a 64-bit Windows 7 Dell Latitude with a Noveltel-based E362 (sold by Dell as a DW5800 WWAN device). It connects great to the 4G network, but does not have the IPv6 protocol installed. I need IPv6 to use DirectAccess (MIcrosoft's clientless VPN).

Other 3G Verizon Wireless modems support IPv6. However, I can't see how or where to install this missing protocol for the device. Does anyone out there know how to do this?

Joe,

The only way I know how to get around a non IPv6 device is to establish a IPv6 tunnel.  That way you can package all of your IPv4 data as IPv6 without manipulating the hardware.  You should contact your IT administrators for steps and information on such a process.

Out of curiosity, which Verizon 3G modems have you found that support IPv6?

0 Likes
joestern

John_Getzke wrote:

Out of curiosity, which Verizon 3G modems have you found that support IPv6?

I've been running IPv6 and DirectAccess on the Dell 5720 WWAN devices installed in my Latitude E4200s. They are also manufactured by Novatel.

0 Likes
Andrewm

John_Getzke wrote:

Joe,

The only way I know how to get around a non IPv6 device is to establish a IPv6 tunnel.  That way you can package all of your IPv4 data as IPv6 without manipulating the hardware.  You should contact your IT administrators for steps and information on such a process.

That's not exactly accurate.  The reason you tunnel IPv6 over IPv4 is because the network doesn't support v6 natively, not because the endpoint doesn't.  The most common way this happens on Windows is with the Microsoft ISATAP, IP-HTTPS, or 6to4 adapters.  The way you get these adapters is by binding the MS IPv6 protocol to the device.  When you attempt to do that with this device it  simply isn't available.  That availability is a function of the driver, or possibly the device class/some other field in the INF.  As Joe mentioned, it's possible to bind IPv6 to other Novatel / old VZW modems, thus allowing one to use the Microsoft tunneling adapters.  It should absolutely be possible for a brand new device.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

You should use private IPv6 tunneled over IPv4 over the VZW public internet "VZWINTERNET" APN in the client config.

The VZW 4G network uses the latest technology and allows IPv6 natively (which certain config tunnels use for SMS and MMS, btw...) but they do not allow end user client internet traffic to use IPv6 *yet* I don't believe.

You can try to go to http://www.whatismyip.com

If you have a NATIVE IPv6 WAN IP over NAT assigned by VZW then you have native IPv6 but your corporate internet end-point tunnel needs to have IPv6 enabled from the service provider (it's a enteprrise thing at the moment...).

Anyways in the future it's simply a flick of a switch and some programming.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

willzzz99 wrote:

You should use private IPv6 tunneled over IPv4 over the VZW public internet "VZWINTERNET" APN in the client config.

Very interesting.  Although I have no interface to directly configure this value on my MiFi 4510L I was able to see this setting in the config file.  The APN is displayed under my WWAN settings, but it is not configurable from that screen.

Heres what I did to find it and configure it:

1. Connect to my MiFi

2. Sign into 192.168.1.1

3. Navigate to Advanced > Config File

4. Click the Download File button after entering my admin password

5. Save the Config file to my computer

6. Rename the Config File from config.xml.sav to config.xml

7. Opened the config.xml in Internet Explorer

8. Reviewed the value under Hudson1 > General > Profile > apn

My apn was already set to vzwinternet.  If a user wanted to change this value all they would have to do is modify the config.xml file and upload it back into the device.  Perhaps this is why I do not have problems using IPv6 with my MiFi?  I wonder what other values the APN could be set to.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

VZWINTERNET should be the ONLY APN a client END user should see.

All the other APN's are for VZW to VZW SMS, MMS and other authentication things INTERNALLY with the VZW LTE network.

You don't need to change anything.

I was just trying to imply that in the future VZW 4G LTE internet service will have native IPv6 NAT internet for the end user.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Err private IPv6 IP address. The IPv4 address shortage is the real problem they are NATing IPv4.

0 Likes