Improve Video Through MiFi 4510L?
JohnDroid

We recently changed from a MiFi2200 (which we loved) to a new MiFi4510L. So far, so good. Downloads and uploads have improved with the new MiFi. We were disappointed though as we expected much less pausing of simple video content (not talking HD here). Is there a way to improve our results?

According to our diagnostics page, we have modem FW version 2.23.01 so that is up-to-date.

My first thought was to force 802.11N connections only but that did not seem to help much. I also thought we could eliminate wifi out of the equation with a direct tethered connection but it appears that option was dropped (from the MiFi2200 feature set). I guess I don't see any other settings that would address the issue.

We live in an area where we have a 3-4 bar 4G LTE signal level and I can watch the same videos without any pause on my Droid Bionic. And, no, I am not attempting to connect multiple devices to the MiFi but I have tested several devices, one at a time, with the same results.

Ideas?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Improve Video Through MiFi 4510L?
JohnDroid

I gather the need to improve video throughput for a MiFi 4510L isn't an issue for most people?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

I havent had a problem with streaming video on my MiFi, but I am in a 3G only area most of the time.  My video testing includes mainly youtube and netflix.  When I do have issues with video content I lower the resolution instead of the max. 

There is also a feature called WMM on the MiFi.  WMM is designed to improve video and voice by prioritizing that traffic from the normal web traffic.  WMM is only going to make i difference if these three criterea are met:

(1) the access point is Wi-Fi CERTIFIED for WMM and has WMM enabled;
(2) the client (device) that the application is running on must be Wi-Fi CERTIFIED for WMM; and
(3) the source application supports WMM. [emphasis mine]

Source:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30833-does-wi-fi-multimedia-wmm-really-do-...

What results do you see from http://speedtest.net?  Perhaps your MiFi is stalling out on something and a simple reset will correct the problem.  Most performance (speed) issues with the MiFi are correctable, its the dropped signals that give people the most trouble.

0 Likes
drjdawg

My advise is "external antenna" for the MiFi4510L. In a hotel room even with 5 bar signal the devise can be pokey and then I plug in the antenna and we are running 10 MB up and 8 MB down. I set the antenna on a metal base near a window in the hotel. I have not tried it on the roof of my car yet, but I think that would improve speed. I have not tested this with video to any great extent.

0 Likes