In the Middle of a Large City, Why is My Signal So Terrible?
JScotty28

I just switched from AT&T to Verizon. Since the switch, I have little to no signal while I work. I listen to podcasts mostly throughout the day, and my signal is so bad that it can't even load the simple audio file. I'm in the heart of downtown  Wilmington, Delaware. A sizeable, busy city. I have a Verizon office a block away from me. My is my signal so horrendous?

My office is at [Removed] Wilmington, Delaware, if that helps. I'm not in some basement. I'm on the 6th floor, about 20 feet from a window. My phone constantly switches from 1 Bar LTE (which essentially does nothing), to 2 Bars 3G (again, little), and occasionally "1x". I listen to my phone at my office more than anywhere. The lack of signal is a serious impediment. Wi-Fi is not an option. Is there anything I can do? I essentially can't use my phone for 8 hours. It's kind of a deal breaker. My signal with AT&T had zero issues.

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: In the Middle of a Large City, Why is My Signal So Terrible?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JScotty28,

We're excited to have you join the Verizon family. That's a lot of the day to have things not work for you and I certainly appreciate wanting to stay connected. We want to make sure we get you the very best possible speeds. What zip code are you having this trouble in? How far do you get from the building before that service improves?

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

JScotty28

Hey, Andrew. Zip code is 19899. Reception is decent outside of my building, but not great. It never gets above 3 bars. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JScotty28, we appreciate the details. We appreciate and value your business. We don't want to see you leave. You are in an area that has both 4G LTE coverage and 3G extended coverage. 3 bars is perfectly fine. However, we want to figure why you are having so many issues with connecting to the network. Are you having these issues in the parking lot or anywhere else or is it just inside of work? Do you have any problems calling or texting from work?

MarcusS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

JScotty28

My phone constantly switches between 3G/LTE all day. It does get better outside, but it's still quite slow. As I said in my initial post though - I never had signal issues with AT&T. I don't see how the building itself can be an issue. Same device too.

I don't call from the phone at work typically, so I couldn't answer as to that. But my texts do struggle to get out. Especially if I'm attempting to send any media. That struggles, and frequently fails.

0 Likes
SPARTANK119
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue for me. The signal has been terrible for almost 3 years now (the amount of time I've worked in the city) and last week it was miraculously improved - we're talking 4 bars and 4G. Now this week, it's back to the same old terrible reception. I barely have 1 to 2 bars and can't do anything on my phone. I was told via Verizon chat that they are working to improve the signal. Can anyone at Verizon confirm this? I was really happy last week to see that something had finally been done to improve service.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Spartank119, having a dependable signal is a must. Is this issue happening indoors or outdoors? What is your zip code? AlbertoR_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

ETAPRESTON
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the identical problem. I work in Wilmington De in probably the same building on the 6th floor. My phone is worthless 8 hours a day. It gets 1 to 2 bars and it can’t do anything. It can’t load a web site, it can’t load a podcast, and half the time my calls drop or texts fail. I’ve been at this site for over three years. The first year the verizon coverage was acceptable and then one day, it became an unusable POS and has been that way ever since. This is down town Wilmington, right next to the court house. There is no excuse for a dead zone here. I have complained about this to Verison multiple times and it has never been resolved. Basically my phone and tablet become bricks in downtown Wilmington. It is pathetic and unacceptable service.

ETAPRESTON
Enthusiast - Level 1

And BTW I wasn’t able to use verizon coverage to even post this response! I will note that this problem has occured on multiple devices and tablets too.

0 Likes
SPARTANK119
Enthusiast - Level 1

This happens mostly indoors but the signal isn't that great outdoors either. I am in the Nemours building on Orange St. Zip code is 19801. The service was a little better yesterday (4G, more bars than usual) but is back to being poor again today. 1 to 2 bars, 1x. Hopefully you are still working on the issue and can find a solution.

0 Likes