Is Verizon bricking the Moto G Fast?
NuMutoWhoDis
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an unlocked Moto G Fast. It has 4G LTE, and according to Motorola`s support page, it does support VoLTE.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/156896

But my account gets warnings that with 3G CDMA being decommissioned, this phone won't work on the network anymore.

"On January 1, 2023, Verizon 3G CDMA devices or 4G devices that do not support HD Voice (Non-VoLTE) won't be able to send or receive calls, send or receive text messages, or use data services."

Why would that be? I don't think Verizon sells this variant of the Moto G because I can`t find any info about this phone from their website. Does Verizon have a strict whitelist of 4G/5G devices like Samsung and Apple for use on their network, or is my device still OK to work by year`s end?

Re: Is Verizon bricking the Moto G Fast?
mhmckee2
Enthusiast - Level 1

No response from anyone?  I would not be surprised if Verizon is intentionally gaslighting people to get new phones.  They have insanely unscrupulous business practices I've seen first hand having been privy to details of some lawsuits.   I've called their support line about this three times and each time I am put on hold and then the call eventually mysteriously drops.  

mhmckee2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was just told by a support rep via CHAT not to worry these phones are compatible.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out to us! I do want to make sure we're doing all we can to help! When you say 'bricking' do you mean, the device will no longer work on the network? The best way to check is to perform a search for the IMEI of your device, from that we can determine if the device is compatible. Please, send us a Private note, or reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter, so we can take a look!

*Chance

0 Likes
abrown95

I have a question about this too. I tried looking it up, but the model isn't listed. But the tech details seem to indicate it should be compatible.  Who can I talk to about this to get verification?

0 Likes
abrown95

Nevermind - I found the VoLTE setting in Settings and changed my network type to LTE/GSM/UMTS.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for letting us know. If there is any other concern, please send us a Private Note to better assist you. Verizon is here 24/7 to help. 

>Soni

0 Likes
fandeHk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Question-why do you need people to send a private note when this is a common question? It sounds like the scare tactics need to be continued in hope that more people will abandon their perfectly good phones purchased through another retailer. If the phones in question are already being used on Verizon why would you even need the ID number of the individual phones. We got the same notices on a Samsung phone we purchased from another retailer only to have the notices stop after a while. Not feeling good about Verizon with these practices.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are not about "bricking" any device, fandeHk. When we ask for private note communication, it is because we need to access non-public account information. Keeping that in private helps us keep customers' accounts secured.

-George

0 Likes