Is Verizon purposefully degrading the data access for the grandfathered unlimited data users or not?
VSZM

I am grandfathered in, have never exceeded 2GB of usage in any given month.  I mostly use the data for email, web browsing, and Google maps, perhaps the occasional You Tube video.  Rarely attach images to my emails, probably less than five times per year.  Beginning in June, I noticed that the data quality decreased noticeably.  GPS route guidance would drop suddenly and not be re-acquired for half hour or more, would go into 3G until I rebooted the phone, connection would just drop while browsing.  Sometimes I would get a message that no SIM card can be found.  I finally called customer service and asked them to send me a new SIM card.  Tried to install it today, it wouldn't be activated automatically.  Called technical support to get it activated.  Surprise! They can't do that unless I changed my data plan!  What an utter BS of a policy.  If I do that I might as well go to T-Mobile, their data is international and I do go to Europe couple of times every year.  So, after 11 years, it may be goodbye to Verizon.  I am not a heavy user by far, but I do like to have my unlimited data plan, and from everything I have read it appears that Verizon is hellbent on driving people like me out of the unlimited plan. FWIW, the SIM card appears to be in perfect order, not a scratch or any other defect on it.  It appears to be purposeful sabotage by the profit-optimization folks of Verizon Wireless.  Well, you can''t have any more of my money if I can't keep my unlimited data plan, it's that simple. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon purposefully degrading the data access for the grandfathered unlimited data users or not?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't notice a degradation of my data plan and I have the unlimited data plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon purposefully degrading the data access for the grandfathered unlimited data users or not?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I also have unlimited and not a single problem. As far as the SIM card goes...never heard that they can't give you a SIM card that won't affect your unlimited data if you specifically ask them for a replacement for your current plan. Perhaps you should call them again or visit a store.

0 Likes
shibamistress

I was grandfathered to unlimited too until I got the Iphone 6 about a month ago.  My husband still is.  Neither of us had any problems with data.

0 Likes
VSZM

Apparently the issues were my ancient voice plan and a CSR who, knowingly or not, insisted that that the only way to replace my SIM was to change my data plan.  The CSR I reached today diagnosed the issue as the voice plan, changed it, and kept my grandfathered unlimited data.  No added costs to my monthly bill by the voice plan change so that's nice.  Congratulations Verizon, we will be friends for a few more years thanks to your knowledgeable CSR Kim. 

0 Likes