Is an LTE speed of 1.6 Mbps normal? (Fairfax VA)
NewVZUser_VA

Just moved to Verizon when i got the new 6s on release day (09/25). For most of the time that use my phone (Fairfax VA), the LTE speed is like DSL-speed.

I do understand that it depends on various factors like distance from tower, time of day, (whether i wear red or not ) but this is a little disconcerting.

And yes - i have tried sitting by the window, upstairs, driveway (gets better), but not enough times and not enough locations.

Any ideas on what i can try? could i get VZ to check/validate? Any thoughts appreciated.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is an LTE speed of 1.6 Mbps normal? (Fairfax VA)
Weth
Legend

Since you have marginal signal at home, make sure you are not using LTE for voice at home to prevent dropped calls. This can be called VoLTE, Advanced voice, LTE voice and data depending on what phone you have.  The older CDMA signal for voice tends to travel a bit farther.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NewVZUser_VA,

Welcome to the VZW family! We pride ourselves in providing reliable signal, so this is a bit of a concern for us. To confirm this is mainly occurring indoors at this location? What speeds do you receive outside or in other areas/zip codes? Do other users appear to be experiencing at this location as well? Please share a few more details so we can best assist. Thank you.

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
NewVZUser_VA

TrevorC_VZW,

Thanks for the quick response. yes, its primarily indoors and happens on both my new iphones and three of my neighbors' as well. Will run more tests outside soon and keep you posted soon.

regards

0 Likes
richlife69
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, 1.6Mbps is not normal for 4G LTE.  I haven't measured less than 2.5Mb and mostly get between 10.x and 30.x Mbps.  I have only been using 4G LTE for 3 days.

How are you measuring your speed?  What gives you a result of 1.6Mbps?

0 Likes
NewVZUser_VA

richlife69 - i am using ookla's speedtest.net app. i realized first there would be errors like 'Couldnt connect to app store", and pages not loading, so decided to the get that app and measure. Not sure if its completely accurate, or if there is a better way to measure the speed, but i just ran a bunch of tests and will be posting the numbers shortly.

0 Likes
NewVZUser_VA

trevorc_vzw

So - here are the numbers - been on the road for the last 90 minutes (with stops where i ran the tests) - within about 7 miles. Here is what i observed on the ookla speedtest.net app (i have all the data in the app, not sure i can upload it somewhere) -

Max Download speed - 50 Mbps (at the commercial center of reston, VA)

Max Upload speed - 21 Mbps (at the commercial center of reston, VA)

Range of download speeds (approx) - 50 Mbps (1 of 30 tests), 12-15 Mbps (2 of 30 tests), 3-8 Mbps (11 or 30 tests), 1-2 Mbps (4 of 30 tests), < 1 Mbps (12 of 30 tests).. Going outside and around my neighborhood, ensuring i stand at one location for the duration of the test.

Unfortunately for me, most of the lower speeds are right around my residence and neighborhood, and i rarely see anything more than 2 of 5 signal bars either. Had my second dropped call today, so if its starting to get THAT bad, certainly have to conclude i must be in a bad dead-zone.

0 Likes
NewVZUser_VA

One more update - i have had two dropped calls and several others where i can only hear if i'm standing at one of two doors in the house.

And the LTE data speeds are on par with what i mentioned in the previous post.

i understand this could be ME/my location/building etc., but i work from home, and this is far from manageable.

What are my options? since its only been a week since i started, should i be able to terminate service?

Any thoughts? I know i could probably call customer service, but looking to hear from someone who might have experienced something similar.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

The range is not unusual and shows your phone is working normally Speed depends on two main factors: level of signal and number of concurrent users.  Near your home what is your signal?   My suspicion is lower signal and many concurrent users pinging off single tower. 

0 Likes
NewVZUser_VA

@Weth

Thank you for your response. The signal, unfortunately is weakest for me right at home and in my neighborhood. indoors/outdoors doesn't make a big difference for data (still says LTE, and download clocks in around 0.5 to 1.8 Mbps), and for voice, the quality is better outside or right by the windows/door where its 2 bars for the signal, and i can go to the basement to get 1 bar and basically throw away the phone since i cant use it for calling/data. @Weth

For what its worth, the coverage map on VZwireless has me firmly in LTE. my neighbors i talked to before switching seemed okay with their service, but just realized none of them spend the time at home like i do (working from home).

0 Likes
richlife69
Enthusiast - Level 3

Like it or not, you definitely need to talk with Customer Service -- but it

will probably only confirm what you already know. What you see is what you

get.

With Verizon you will normally have 14 days to terminate service. Other

charges (like restocking) may apply. You can find most of this info on the

Verizon website, but it is hidden in a variety of pages.

Most important would to be contact Verizon. If you are not satisfied with

the current level of service that you have described here, terminate now.

If you go beyond the 14 days, you will probably be stuck with this service

level AND the charges for 2 years (or terminate with a $350 early

termination fee).

Good luck!

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:41 AM, NewVZUser_VA <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes