Is there a way to check 4G coverage?
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1

Without buying a phone, that is. Are there metering devices of some sort?

I don't know anyone with a Verizon 4G phone. The coverage map shows solid LTE coverage in many areas I spend the majority of my time, but I've learned long ago that cellular carriers' maps mean very little (as do their speed claims). I've had phones in areas that are saturated according to maps, and not been able to place a call. As for speed, well let's just say that my current Verizon 3G service is like the dialup of cellular 3G. And I know others on other carriers who've had similar issues.

I'm also curious about 700MHz penetration into buildings and structures. A significant amount of my time with the phone will have to be indoors.

I don't want to waste my one return of a phone on a Thunderbolt that gets no 4G coverage, or constantly disconnects from it. I've been reading in the forums that some folks are experiencing troubles with the 4G connection dropping all the time. I realize this is probably growing pains, and will eventually iron out - but I don't particularly want to be part of the ironing.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there a way to check 4G coverage?
budone
Legend

TedKord wrote:

I don't know anyone with a Verizon 4G phone. The coverage map shows solid LTE coverage in many areas I spend the majority of my time, but I've learned long ago that cellular carriers' maps mean very little (as do their speed claims). And Verizon is the only company that does not layer the service levels. I've had phones in areas that are saturated according to maps, and not been able to place a call. As for speed, well let's just say that my current Verizon 3G service is like the dialup of cellular 3G. And I know others on other carriers who've had similar issues.

I'm also curious about 700MHz penetration into buildings and structures. A significant amount of my time with the phone will have to be indoors. 700MHz should be as good as what we are used to with VZW. 1950 and 2100MHz have a much harder time penetrating a building.

I don't want to waste my one return of a phone on a Thunderbolt that gets no 4G coverage, or constantly disconnects from it. I've been reading in the forums that some folks are experiencing troubles with the 4G connection dropping all the time. I realize this is probably growing pains, and will eventually iron out - but I don't particularly want to be part of the ironing.

0 Likes
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1

budone wrote:

TedKord wrote:

I don't know anyone with a Verizon 4G phone. The coverage map shows solid LTE coverage in many areas I spend the majority of my time, but I've learned long ago that cellular carriers' maps mean very little (as do their speed claims). And Verizon is the only company that does not layer the service levels. I've had phones in areas that are saturated according to maps, and not been able to place a call. As for speed, well let's just say that my current Verizon 3G service is like the dialup of cellular 3G. And I know others on other carriers who've had similar issues.

I'm also curious about 700MHz penetration into buildings and structures. A significant amount of my time with the phone will have to be indoors. 700MHz should be as good as what we are used to with VZW. 1950 and 2100MHz have a much harder time penetrating a building.

I don't understand what you meant by layering, or what it has to do with the coverage. If 700MHz is only as good at penetrating structures as the older EVDO, that's not encouraging. I suffer significant signal drop in ANY building, even with good signal outside. I can barely keep a call connected in my home, and only in specific spots- if I move, I'll drop the call. No drops outside anywhere. I guess I was hoping for a significant improvement in that area.

0 Likes
budone
Legend
ATT , Sprint they show level of signal on their maps. For the most part VZW shows if there is service, not how good of service.

If you can not get a phone signal now, you won't with a TB. For the foreseeable future, phone service will remain on the 3G system with data being on the 4G system. Even with next next new 4G phones as well.
0 Likes
TedKord
Contributor - Level 1

budone wrote:
ATT , Sprint they show level of signal on their maps. For the most part VZW shows if there is service, not how good of service.

If you can not get a phone signal now, you won't with a TB. For the foreseeable future, phone service will remain on the 3G system with data being on the 4G system. Even with next next new 4G phones as well.

Ahhh, I getchya now. I hadn't even noticed that, but you're right - Sprint does show weaker/stronger coverage areas, Berizon doesn't.  Interesting, thanks.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you for the feedback. Adding to the suggestions, you can always check our online map for 4G coverage. I am providing a link below for you to reference. Simply add your information in the fields presented and click the 4G indicator to see if the coverage is provided in your area. This is a good option to know what kind of service is being offered in your area.  We are always updating our network to increase and expand our nationwide 4G coverage within the United States.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST

Thanks,

edw@vzwsupport

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport  

0 Likes