Just came to Verizon yesterday, not happy with the 4G
Kingetula

Could be my phone but...

Jacksonville, Fl.

I live of a main road (Normandy Blvd). The 4G map shows 4G just about where I want to be all arounf J-Ville. My first night I took it out I'm getting 1 and 2 bars but my AH.FM station isn't being dropped here and there like it was on TMobile. However it did drop to switch from 4G to 3G. I went to the Oak Leaf Town Ceneter (Outdoor mall) and parked to talk with my GF I met up with. The signal went from 1 bar to no bars every few seconds or so dropping my internet radio.

I looked at the map before I bought and last night and where I drove I was clearly in the so called 4G area. I went to the Verizon store to see if I could boost my signal or something, maybe it's the phone. ANother customer who seemed agitated with an issue he had looked at me and told me 60% of the time he only gets 3G around Jacksonville.

The 2 sales people could only shrug their shoulders and told me to go back to the area and call Verizon to see what tower I am using and see if they could help.

I was all excited to finally get quality signal and internet and so far! I feel cheated! I'm sitting here with 2 bars...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Just came to Verizon yesterday, not happy with the 4G
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are still in the window, return the device and cancel the service.  just look back through the history on these forums and you will see that is the right decision.  If you can get 3G in your area with ATT you will have better luck as it's faster than Verizon 3G and at least stable.  Verizon 4G is nothing but a nightmare.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

What the man above me said, but my 4G works fine :smileyhappy:

It's a matter of understanding dymanics of networking.  4G is new, and a lot of people are jumping on board.  There will be hiccups quicker on larger areas than smaller areas.  In the grand scheme of things eventually it'll get worked out.  That's what happens when you are an early adopter.

FYI - HSPA+ is not 4G and never will be.  They are marketing their 3G technology as 4G(4th Generation), but not the actual hardware.  This is WHY AT&T switched to LTE, as it can be upgraded to LTEA(LTE+) which is the true standard of 4G.

Best to return your device if you are unhappy with it and you been  here only for a day.  Save yourself the headache.  It'll get better, but not in the timeframe of most people threshold.  I remember the days of 3G when AT&T started to roll that baby out lol.  God I feel old.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just a comment, 11 months is a pretty reasonable timeframe I think to fix a network infrastructure configuration problem.  This isn't a bug it's something configured wrong in their network routing.  A ping still goes though, thus there is connectivity, data just won't flow through.

0 Likes
johnjr1266

I am so ready to cancel my 5 phones with them. They are not living up to there end of the contract as far as I am concerned.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Some areas haven't even had 4G for 11 months. Initial roll out cities yes, but not the new cities being put up.
0 Likes
bertlloyd89

Verizon 4G?

Surely you jest.

Verizon doesn't offer 4G.

At least not for the last THREE DAYS.

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

@johnjr1266,

I'd hate to lose you as a customer and want to help.

Please allow us the opportunity to help. What issues are you having? Please post back with your concerns and I will be more than happy to assist you. If you have account specific concerns, please send me a private message and I will be happy to help. Make sure to include your name and mobile number so I can access your account.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

KingEtula;  I don't know if you're still around.   (Given the above advise, I wonder why they are still around),  But I haven't had any trouble with the 4G signal anywhere around Jacksonville.    Right now I'm in the boonies inland from St. Augustine and things are still great.  I wonder if you're having a hardware snafu or if you just came aboard when the National Outages where raging.

We did have problems with the national outages previously alluded to,  and Verizon is doing a Super-Lousy job on public relations on that point.     If they'd acknowledge the problem they might have gotten a little forgiveness instead of all this bitterness.

I'm using the 4G USB modem for data.    That's not as critical as a telephone communication.  If I can't connect I just go to McDonalds.   If you can't connect you're dead in the water (and in Jacksonville that could literally be true).  Telephone communication has become a quality-of-life issue in modern America.   Verizon is supposed to have a reliable 3G back up (at least for voice) to  their temperamental 4G.    What happened John?

Two bars is about normal for around here.  The real measure is speedtest.net.  The intermittent drops is the current symptoms of the national outage bug.

0 Likes