Kentucky - As always, overlooked
Below_Average
It's with rather great discontent that I write this. It is not so much a flame or a conversation starter as something I simply want to make people, particularly Verizon management (as if they will read this) aware of. Kentucky has been largely overlooked by Verizon in the past and the present, and it's quite frustrating. We have some decently sized cities, Louisville is the 27th biggest in the US, and Lexington is the 63rd. Lexington is also an extremely technology based city, with both Lexmark and HP having very large presences, and around 7 of the 10 largest companies being technology based. That said; there is no lack of a market in these cities, and yet neither was in the first 40 to receive 4g, and Louisville is set to be around the 80th city, with Lexington not even on the schedule for the first 140. I really fail to understand the huge delay. I've put up with at best mediocre 3G coverage in the area, with hopes that Verizon would come through on their promise of "Millions" spent expanding coverage in Kentucky during 2010, however that seems to not have come through. They simply put backup generators on a few of their towers. I understand the mountainous east, and sparsely populated western parts of Kentucky lacking service, however it mystifies me as to why a company which prides itself on it's large coverage area has largely ignored the technology-centric industrialized heartland of Kentucky. Please do explain, because I'm getting tired of waiting, and I'm tempted to simply switch to AT&T, who although has an admittedly slower and less reliable network, already has almost as much 4G coverage in Kentucky as Verizon has 3G.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Kentucky - As always, overlooked
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't know how they choose which cities get 4G first before the others.  I would guess it is at least partially based on where they own the spectrum of the 700 mhz band that Verizon uses for the 4G LTE and what the conditions of the infrastructure in the area.  Perhaps it is one of their rural partners that are responsible for building out the 4G LTE in the rest of the state of Kentucky.

Louisville is scheduled to get 4G LTE on July 21st officially.  It might be possible to see some unofficial 4G connection now if past reports of the previous cities are any indication.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2011/06/pr2011-06-21c.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Part of the issue is VZW does not have a HUGE native footprint in KY as in other states. Bluegrass Cellular and another really have most of the state locked up and VZW is left out looking in.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Below_Average wrote:
It's with rather great discontent that I write this. It is not so much a flame or a conversation starter as something I simply want to make people, particularly Verizon management (as if they will read this) aware of. Kentucky has been largely overlooked by Verizon in the past and the present, and it's quite frustrating. We have some decently sized cities, Louisville is the 27th biggest in the US, and Lexington is the 63rd. Lexington is also an extremely technology based city, with both Lexmark and HP having very large presences, and around 7 of the 10 largest companies being technology based. That said; there is no lack of a market in these cities, and yet neither was in the first 40 to receive 4g, and Louisville is set to be around the 80th city, with Lexington not even on the schedule for the first 140. I really fail to understand the huge delay. I've put up with at best mediocre 3G coverage in the area, with hopes that Verizon would come through on their promise of "Millions" spent expanding coverage in Kentucky during 2010, however that seems to not have come through. They simply put backup generators on a few of their towers. I understand the mountainous east, and sparsely populated western parts of Kentucky lacking service, however it mystifies me as to why a company which prides itself on it's large coverage area has largely ignored the technology-centric industrialized heartland of Kentucky. Please do explain, because I'm getting tired of waiting, and I'm tempted to simply switch to AT&T, who although has an admittedly slower and less reliable network, already has almost as much 4G coverage in Kentucky as Verizon has 3G.

Thank you for your inquiry Below_Average. Adding to what was stated by Ann154 and Budone, Verizon Wireless desires to put 4G LTE coverage in the State of Kentucky. Please know that putting up coverage in the state has nothing to do with the values of that state. We respect all the values of every state. One concern is legal aspects that takes time to work though as there could be trust markets involved. We are doing our best to partner with other entities to move forward in progress. The FCC is involved with guidelines that just cannot be overridden based on a customer's good worthy opinion. There are things you may be overlooking and thereby putting the focus upon something that better knowledge would ask for reconsideration. We must work within the boundaries that allows service to be established that gives respect to every aspect of this 4G issue. Please use this link for more information: http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage .

0 Likes
blue2013

It would be great if Verizon would buy out Bluegrass Cellular, I'd definitely be one to switch from AT&T, I hate it, but I do travel, and Bluegrass' Roaming options are horrible. Now they're "leasing" the 4G LTE technology from Verizon, and have it up and running. They caused SO many people to switch from AT&T, that AT&T now has 4G LTE service in Bowling Green, KY.

0 Likes