LTE Service VERY slow for the past 2 weeks in Chipley, FL
ADXGlock
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had VZW for a few months now with excellent service. Now I have 3 devices that are getting speeds of approx .3 MB/s. Before hitting the 22 GB mark, the speeds were about 3 MB/s. This only started about 2 weeks ago at home (33428). Prior to that there were no speed issues in the rural area. I find that when I go to work (32446) I have no issues with speed.

I have contact support once which did not resolve the issue and blamed it on the 22 GB cap. I have restarted the devices, reset network settings and the issue persists. It makes me think that this issue is somehow tower related.

The only way I can really get any data to function is to turn off LTE.

Please help. I recently switch led to VZW and would like to keep my service, but it needs to be usable.

Thanks,

Ty

Labels (1)
Re: LTE Service VERY slow for the past 2 weeks in Chipley, FL
stef7
Master - Level 2

Logically, if you take the device experiencing a slow connection to another area and thus tower, and there is no issue with speed, what conclusion do you come to?

0 Likes
ADXGlock
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes I would say it is with the tower, but since the issue only started 2 weeks ago, I am trying to find out how to have Verizon actually investigate/ resolve the issue.

stef7
Master - Level 2

I'd recommend installing a cell signal level application on your device like one of the following from the PlayStore: Network Cell Info Lite, and/or Advanced Signal Status

If you have an iPhone, then look for something on iTunes that does something similar like OpenSignal.

I've gleaned the following from the web regarding reported metrics in these apps:

RSRP – The average power received from a single Reference signal, and Its

typical range is around -44dbm (good) to -140dbm(bad).

Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal
Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal
Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair
Worse than -113dBm RSRP is poor

RSRQ – Indicates quality of the received signal, and its

range is typically -19.5dB(bad) to -3dB (good).

Greater or equal to -10dB (excellent)

Between -10 to -15dB (good)

Between -15 to -20 (Fair to Poor*)

Less than -20 (Bad*)

RSSNR – Indicates the Signal to Noise ratio of the signal, the higher the better

Greater or equal to 20 Excellent

Between 13 to 20 Good

Between 0 to 13 (Fair to Poor*)

Less than or equal to 0 (Bad*)

Also

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Also download SpeedTest.

Get the metrics and the speedtest results for up/down for the cell tower nearest you at different times of the day. Report the results to Verizon.

It is possible that it's not a congested tower, but intermediate "hops" to the destination. For that you could try running a PlayStore download that will do a traceroute or a mtr type test.

Good luck.

ADXGlock
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can’t find anything on ios11 to show the dbm. But I am referring to the Speedtest app. I get .2 Mbps down on LTE and it has been this way while at home for almost 2 weeks.

If I disable LTE and go with 3G, I get 1.75 Mbps down. I have full bars on each from home.

When I travel outside of my home area, I have no speed issues on LTE. And like I said earlier, the issue only started 2 weeks ago.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

OpenSignal should show the signal strength (RSRP) in dBm (select the "Signal window" and the Cellular tab. I thought this was supposed to be a much more uber app. Just tried it on my wife's iPhone6. Yes, Signal Strength in dBm, and up/down speeds, but not the rest. Hmmm. No one has written an app to get more info out of the tower's signal for iPhones? There's got to be something out there.

You have to show that, yes, the tower is hitting the phone with a strong signal (and little background noise), then with the speedtest you show them essentially, the tower is laboring and not delivering anywhere near what you should be getting.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is way too long for you to have service issues Adxglock. I don't see any reported outages. It may be an issue with the area since you can have no issues anywhere else. Is anyone else having this concern? Where are you (app, browser, YouTube, etc.) experiencing slow speeds? What is the make/model of your device?

AmberF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ADXGlock
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue is happening on any app that users data. From email to web browsing to Facebook etc. The issue is within happening on all three iPhone 7S  plus devices. It seemed to begin in conjunction with a Carrier setting Update.

I noticed that once in a while I seem to connect to a different tower (signal bars will be one or two) and I get great speeds on a speed test. But once it goes back to this full bar connection the speeds go down to usually 0.1 - 0.3 Mbps.

The only way I can get any “usable“ data connection is by disabling LTE and using a 3G connection.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ADXGlock, thank you for sharing these additional details. We definitely want to keep digging and get to the root cause of these issues. From one of your previous posts, you've mentioned that when you travel outside of your home area, the speed is not an issue. Just to clarify, are the speeds only an issue when you're inside your home? How are the speeds when you step outside, such as in your yard or down the block? Also, may we ask if you currently have Wi-Fi or high-speed internet available at home?

SamanthaT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes