Re: LTE problem 1 bar
Snn5
Legend

Duh, 5S doesn't have HD calling, nevermind.

0 Likes
Chum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes but I clarified and they never came back.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It might be another day or two before your posts reach the top of their queue.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Chum1, thanks for taking all the mentioned steps, it is appreciated. To be sure, you state that within the apartment you are definitely having issues with call quality. However, you also stated that it wasn't to great anywhere. We want to clarify, are you having call quality issues everywhere you go or are you stating that the signal is simply on average 2-4 bars? If the challenge for reception is primarily at your apartment, it would be likely that the signal is being obstructed by either the building or other structures in the area. If you have home internet we do have in home solution to assist with reception while indoors and those can be seen here http://vz.to/1rGr6wM.

AdamG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The wireless extender is a good idea, if you can afford that.  Nonetheless, if you go that route you would most likely get better signal, but  make sure that you have Verizon adjust it's power correctly, otherwise you'll have neighbors all up in arms that accidentally connect to it and have issues themselves.

0 Likes
ethancedrik
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah 1X and 3G travel greater distances than LTE meaning you'll have more bars on them. Also the network extender doesn't provide LTE, only 3G, but the 3G it does provide is at the max 3G speed possible last time I checked

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Before you do anything else, I'll try to explain this a bit. Verizon now has multiple frequencies depending on if you are on Really new tech (band 4 XLTE), new tech (Band 13 LTE), or original. With your phone, the signal strength will show the data connection while in standby, which is completely different than when you make a call.

Test this. See you phone with 1 bar of band 4 XLTE, that is standby on data. Now make a call, and you should see the signal strength change as soon as you initiate the call. This is the phone switching from new tech to old tech 3G CDMA to make the call. This is also the signal strength that your calls will go out on. I suspect you will see bars equal to before when you are in a call.

If this really bothers you, just turn off LTE, and you will stay in 3G CDMA mode, which uses different frequencies and sometimes different towers. You can also just turn off LTE temporarily to either prove my theory correct or incorrect.

Based on what you have said so far, I am not convinced you even have a problem, and it is a matter of understanding what the signal strength is measuring - your data signal or your voice signal. It will always show the data signal unless you are in a call, or force LTE to be off.

Verizon CS will likely just tell you to get a signal extender, but I am not convinced you need to do that.

Does that help? I really want you to understand this so you feel comfortable with what your phone is telling you.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

3G won't matter much since you have to have a modem anyway, and then most likely the user would use wifi.

ethancedrik
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah your right and limited data plans really don't help that at all

0 Likes
ethancedrik
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah honestly 1 bar if LTE doesn't matter if your on wifi as all calls are placed over 3G, so if you have good 3G signal you'll have good quality calls and good wifi signal for good quality data. In fact I currently have LTE disabled as I have a limited data plan and always use wifi, plus it saves battery life  

0 Likes