LTE router connection to Mesh network/Router
jslateiv
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a new Verzion LTE router (ASK-RTL108)  and am trying to connect a TP-Link Deco M5 mesh network to it via ethernet,..   when connected the M5 shows as having an internet connection however no traffic is running across it,..  devices connected to the M5 cannot access the internet,  a speed test within the M5 interface errors out,  etc,...   The LTE router works fine and the ethernet jack works fine if a computer is connected to it.      Is there a compatibility issue with the M5?   Hoping it is just a unique setup issue within the LTE that needs to be addressed,..    Tried adding the M5 to the LTE DMZ with no luck..

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: LTE router connection to Mesh network/Router
S99klein
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jslateiv Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I have a Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi router that is doing the same thing your TP-Link is doing. Upon initial setup the Orbi will work fine for an hour or so and then it seems to block all internet access of the devices connected to it. However, the Verizon router still can ping the internet. 

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

S99klein, we're sorry to read that you're having trouble with your internet service. We're always happy to help. Just to clarify, have you tried connecting to our modem when this happens to see if your data is working? If it is, I would recommend reaching out to Netgear, to make sure that your settings are correct. I hope this helps. 

AaronS_VZW

0 Likes
S99klein
Enthusiast - Level 3

@aarons_vzw 

🙂Funny. VZW tech support says to talk to Netgear. Netgear support says to talk to VZW. Once again it's left to the customer to solve the problem which I have done. Ultimately I needed to disable the ALG settings in the VZW router to get the VZW router to cooperate with my Orbi properly. 

Thanks,

Scott

JBkk

Scott,

I’m having the same problem. I’ve been on the phone with Verizon for hours and after talking to 5 different people, they pretty much said they have no clue how to bridge it. Yet they’re aware that people want to do this. 

I disabled all ALG settings like you said. 
I put the Orbi in the DMZ using the address for the Orbi from the client list. 
Then I disabled DHCP and the Orbi disappears from the client list and no longer says online in the Orbi app. I’m not sure what the heck I’m doing.

Very frustrating. What are all your router settings that made it work? Any help would be so appreciated. Verizon customer service has failed me. 

0 Likes
S99klein
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey @JBkk,

I discovered that the only ALG setting I needed to turn off was SIP ALG. Initially having the others off worked, but I began having troubles again so turned them all off and started with SIP off and that seems to have stabilized things. Perhaps try that. 

I have left the DHCP on in the VZW router and have set my Orbi to us a static IP address. I just picked an IP address that was within the DHCP range in the VZW router. I then used the same subnet mask that is listed in the VZW router and the gateway IP is the IP address of the VZW router. I see that my settings for DNS address is the VZW router for Primary DNS and I don't have a secondary. Originally I think I was forcing the google DNS servers, but apparently I'm not anymore and this seems to be working. 

Hopefully this helps. Happy to keep troubleshooting it with you or anyone. I feel I've found a pretty stable setup. I've only had the two "drops" in the last few weeks but the one this week recovered within a few hours. Otherwise the signal has been great and has allowed for multiple simultaneous video conferencing streams, gaming, video/audio streaming. I have 4 people in my house who at any point will be consuming internet via one or more of those methods and things are great when it's on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be more than happy to assist you with this! Please send us a Private Note, so we can continue. - MoniqueH_VZW

0 Likes
JBkk

Scott, 

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. But after another couple hours of trying all this and more, I’m calling it over. I had such high hopes. It’s just hard for me to believe it isn’t a one button option with all the mesh networks out there. 
      At a consistent 50down/6-7upload, this destroys my current DSL of 22down/1up too. But the time I’ve spent and the lack of customer service from Verizon has just killed me. 
      Now the real fight starts. I was supposed to get an extension from the 14 day trial period according to one of the reps I talked to, but now it’s been almost three weeks and still waiting for 2 call backs. 
      So disappointed.

0 Likes
S99klein
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry to hear you haven’t been able to get it to work. Can I ask where in the country you are? I’m north of Seattle, WA. 

I was told by tech support after my 14 days when I was still having trouble that they would still let me out of the contract since I’d been having so many issues. Hopefully they’ll honor that for you. 

0 Likes
JetTexas
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found a simple setting change on reddit that solved the problem.

Step by Step:

1. log in to Verizon box using browser address bar; 192.168.1.1 and password on underside of Verizon box

2. click on Network

3. then LAN

4. now in LAN Settings under the Basic heading, change IP address to 192.168.10.1

5. click Save at bottom of screen and wait for green light to stabilize on front of Verizon box.