Map shows 4G coverage, phone won't connect, VZW denies coverage
gobucks821

I'm unable to connect to 4G in Oxford, OH zip 45056. Latitute 39.50098, longitute -84.73662. Their 4G map shows that address is within their coverage (not extended network, but their own 4G LTE network). And it's showed that for at least 2 weeks.

I talked to Tier 2 Sunday night. They just got back to me saying our tower doesn't have 4G yet...the @VZWSupport people just said the same thing.

Anyone else in an area without 4G where the map shows coverage?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Map shows 4G coverage, phone won't connect, VZW denies coverage
mr23frahee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here in Michigan, LTE turned on last week here in the Saginaw area. I live in Freeland, just outside Saginaw, which is completely covered on the coverage map. I have yet to have my Bionic connect to 4G anywhere around my house. Pretty disappointing, Im hoping the actual coverage matches what the map shows pretty soon. If not, seems a little like false advertising.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Have you turned on the 4G radio on the phone????

0 Likes
gobucks821

Yep - the 4G worked just fine in three other 4G markets, just not here. The tier 2 technician had me try disabling and re-enabling it, remove SIM card for 20 minutes, etc. Nothing worked, so he submitted a ticket for VZW to research. They later replied that my tower isn't 4G even though the map is throughly saturated with 4G, right down to my specific address. Strange!

0 Likes
Paul77
Contributor - Level 1
I have the same issue in Columbus Ohio 43217 i have the droid charge.
0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

mr23frahee wrote:

Here in Michigan, LTE turned on last week here in the Saginaw area. I live in Freeland, just outside Saginaw, which is completely covered on the coverage map. I have yet to have my Bionic connect to 4G anywhere around my house. Pretty disappointing, Im hoping the actual coverage matches what the map shows pretty soon. If not, seems a little like false advertising.

Hi mr23frahee,

I understand your desire for 4G coverage in your area and your disappointment for any confusion with our coverage map. Please note that our coverage map point out some extended coverage within the 4G coverage and this extended coverage does not guarantee 4G signal and 3G will most like be present in 4G extended coverage. This is noted in our 4G coverage map.

To confirm the coverage type in your particular address, please do the following:

Visit the 4G LTE Website

Click on the WHERE IS 4G LTE AVAILABLE? link.

Enter your complete address including house/apt number and street address.

Click the AM I COVERED? link.

Click the VIEW COVERAGE link.

Zoom out twice on the coverage map.

Map will display coverage in two tones of red, one for 4G network and another for 4G Extended network.

4G signal is not guaranteed in 4G Extended network as noted online.

0 Likes
Paul77
Contributor - Level 1
Does your 4g go away after you pick up the phone and start using it.
0 Likes
Merrick
Enthusiast - Level 2
Verizon is becoming famous at exaggerating their actual coverage. They have shown coverage in my town for awhile now and it's still a complete dead zone.
0 Likes
extraspot

My city started to get 4G about a month or so ago, and it has been spotty at best.  I think I had it for about 30 seconds at my house the other night.  That was the first time I had here, and I haven't seen it since.  I can get it in some parts of town, but not others.  And while I can get it in my office on the 7th floor, when I hit the 4th floor, it flips to 3G; yet if I go three blocks, I can get it at street level.  Go figure.  It also regularly switches between 4G and 3G.  And today, it was 1X, when I had service at all.  Regardless of where I was in the city, I had data service for about 15 minutes out of 12 hours today.  Verizon is clearly tinkering with it quite a bit as you never know what you are going to get from one day to the next.

0 Likes
rpgj

On the coverage site, after being "congratulated" for being in a 4G coverage area, I performed each step you outlined in determining which tier of 4G coverage I fall under for my Oxford, OH address.

I am clearly in a 4G (not extended 4G) coverage area, yet I still do not have 4g on my Thunderbolt.

Can you tell me or direct me to someone who can explain this discrepancy and when Verizon will actually have 4G in this location like they are advertising?

EDIT: I actually went ahead and called Tech Support and was transferred the next level of support and submitted a ticket and now am waiting for a call back in the near future.

This tech confirmed that I was in a 4G (not extended 4G coverage) area. 

I've never had trouble connecting to 4G in other markets and always get a clear 2-3 bar signal strength out of 4.  My network settings are confirmed where they need to be.  Nowhere in Oxford can you find a Verizon 4G signal. 

It was attempted to be explained to me about something with the university's tower and Verizon contracts, etc. as to why we don't have 4G.  That point is moot because Verizon is clearly advertising to customers in this region, two-thirds of whom are young adult students who'll clearly avail themselves of 4G devices. I wouldn't buy that, or that I was in a valley, near a river, near an edge of a 3G zone (which I'm not) or anything.  That's not the point.

I know it's not been to long ago that the coverage map has shown any address in Oxford as being in a 4G coverage area because I checked earlier in the summer.

It would really be to Verizon's best interest to remedy this problem by upgrading the towers (because they clearly are not).  Else, Verizon is falsely promoting/marketing a non-existent product just in time for the start of a new school year and an influx of new students probably looking for hot, new Verizon 4G devices.  A competitor has 4G coverage here already, apparently.

Kind of hard to Rule the Air, when you have to breathe the same ol' 3G air but are being told otherwise.

At worst, revise the maps and give us a ballpark figure for when 4G will be delivered here.  Short of that, call tech support, and have a ticket submitted.  I'm not sure what the threshold is for garnering their prompt attention, but that may be all we have left, short of social media awareness.

Nonetheless, I'll reserve judgment myself and allow Verizon time to provide a rationale for their marketing and non-delivery of promised goods (4G).  I've more or less been satisfied with the level of service I've received with any issues to date.  Best case scenario is that they've just jumped the gun on the promotion of the coverage and are or will scurry to update the towers here.

0 Likes