Re: Map shows 4G coverage, phone won't connect, VZW denies coverage
budone
Legend

Dont know if you read the disclaimer on the 4G coverage page before entering your info.

These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including customer's equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather that may impact service.

0 Likes
rpgj

budone wrote:

Dont know if you read the disclaimer on the 4G coverage page before entering your info.

These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including customer's equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather that may impact service.

Thank you, but I did more than read the small print; I finally called Verizon and spent a good 30 minutes of my day addressing this.

The small print misses the point.  What's the point in painting so many different shades of red and disseminating it for public consumption when you have an ENTIRE CITY indicated in 4G coverage when it is not?  Why pump out a map with "predicted" coverage when it indicates you ARE covered and even the tech tries to explain it away as if there was coverage?  There isn't even LIMITED 4G coverage because THERE IS NO 4G COVERAGE.

Or should we suppose  everyone's equipment is to blame? (Which if you own a Tbolt, may be the case.....show me proof that 4G is on here and I'll get my "equipment" issue addressed).  Or some inexplicable anomaly of terrain (which doesn't currently seem to affect 3G)?  Last time I checked there were no skyscrapers in northwest Butler County, OH.  Maybe it's that gargantuan, 5 square-mile LEAF blocking the signal.  I am waiting for someone with enough meteorological sensibility to explain which particular weather phenomenon prevents one entirely from receiving any signal signal...4G notwithstanding (outside of actual destruction of a tower by wind/lightning/hail....even this Feb's ice storm of 3/4 to 1" accumulation didn't impact signal).  I can NOT get a 4G signal pretty easily at times even in clear weather in Cincinnati.

The point is someone at Verizon is either fine with communicating coverage where there is none or they are in the process of rolling it out here.  As a customer, I should get to know one way or the other and prefer not to bank on this being addressed on its own.  But as I said, I offer the benefit of the doubt until there is none.

0 Likes
Fatdog1028
Enthusiast - Level 2
I empathize with you rpgj. I live in Carson Ia (51525) and we are only 3g. I commute to Omaha to work daily and it has 4g coverage. In my house, the 3g is so weak it is almost nonexistent. I look forward to getting 4g, but their competitor will most likely get it first. I am really close to terminating in Feb when my contract expires. Us cellular has a tower next to my house. I am sick and tired of paying $93 a month for service I can't use.
0 Likes
vf1000ride

Same problem in the Pataskala Oh area with 4g.  Maps show I am well within the 4g prefered coverage with almost a mile before dropping into any extended areas and on most days I get absolutely no data coverage.  My Thunderbolt hunts around between zero data and 1x service.  Voice calls and texting works great.  It is going on 3 months now that Verizon denies issues in my area.  I have had the phone replaced once and the sim replaced twice.  They have come to my area and done tower surveys and signal strength checks and they continue to maintain the signal is good.  I have restarted the whole process again to have them come to my physical address and check signals here.  Not that it would matter because I can walk the entire subdivision and never get a stable data connection.

0 Likes
retired2000
0 Likes
retired2000

Ummm.  Yes, I'm a newbie to this forum.  I just posted something.  The header came up but no text.  ?????

0 Likes
retired2000

Aha.  Do I have to do a 'preview' before posting?  I did that with the last post and it worked.  Not intuitively obvious.  Now I'll see if I can recreate the first post.

As we traveled this past summer in our motorhome I was always happy to see 4G available when we arrived.  I even saw it in the most unlikely places, like Summerdale, Alabama which is a boondocks kind of place.  It doesn't show 4G on the VZ map but there it was. 

However, we are back in Port St Lucie, Florida and still no 4G service.  Very disappointing.  One would think VZ would run 4G up along the entire Florida coast.

0 Likes
Doc832
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Coverage map shows full coverage in many areas around me that DO NOT get any 4g. I had spoken with several reps from VZW and they keep telling me its an apporoximation of what they "Expect" to have. However, they are 12mi off in several areas.

I am sure the scale is over inflated to help sell cells... Not very nice, I would have waited to get my 4G knowing it would not be in my area. 4 G has been less than reliable even in strong 4g Areas. ITS the marketing.

0 Likes
nwkthompson
Everyone keeps pointing out the small print as a justification for not having a 4g signal. If that's the case then Verizon could just say that the whole country is covered with 4g. When people call to complain they just point out the small print that says you may not be covered. Verizon's coverage maps are a joke. Plain and simple. Buffalo Niagara just got coverage yesterday and it is pathetic. Nothing in Niagara is covered (maybe a square mile so they can say it's there). I drove around the city today and there is only about 10 miles of coverage and only a small fraction of that has a good signal. As for things interfering with the signal, how is it that they can have 4g in NYC but not a suburb? If you can do it there you can do it anywhere.
0 Likes
Doc832
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well most of the area they show as covered around me has NO 4g. I understand that is the case in many of the cities. I just received and Email telling me of the cities they are opening up to 4 g and laughed. You should fix what you have before you make more mistakes. They talk about expanding coverage in some areas that they say already had 4g on the map. Canton and Akron Ohio are one such area.

Love the lies and marketing issues.

0 Likes