Re: Map shows 4G coverage, phone won't connect, VZW denies coverage
rpgj

So I've gotten all the way through and gotten tickets for inquiries to be made on behalf of VZW engineers (or some tier of their field techs) to check for 4G signal in Oxford.  I get a return call a week later stating they have verified a "weak" signal in Oxford.  "Weak," but it is "there" they said. 

Pure tripe.  There is no 4G signal here.  Forget small print, they are outright lying or have a parabolic antenna about 20 feet in diameter amplifying a signal from miles away.  Of course, there's no way to verify who "confirmed" 4G in Oxford or if anyone actually did try.  Pure obfuscation, actually, when you consider that the next round they take me to is to put in another ticket to change how the map generates coverage for these geographic locations, indicating 4G where there is none.  It was confirmed to me that a request had been made to change the map to a more accurate depiction of coverage.

That was two weeks ago, and I go to generate the map, and sure enough, it still shows Oxford covered in glorious 4G.   I'm 99% sure nothing will change.  Utter fabrication and stupendous, recalcitrant ignorance of honest marketing is the fare for American business customers.  They just don't care. 

Change the map, and I'll change my opinion.

0 Likes
Doc832
Enthusiast - Level 2
Dear Antonio the coverage map is a farse. 44060 is completely covered but does not have 4g in more than 50% of that area. Much of the map is WRONG. YOURpre printed answer is wrong and a flat out corporate lie.
0 Likes
Doc832
Enthusiast - Level 2

HELLO VZW, well I am impressed. Overnite the 4g boundry moved about 5 miles east with nice speed. 18.4mbps dwn, 4.5 up.

I am now less than 1000 feet from where I live with 4 g...Could it be here sooner rather than later?

Thanks for extending the network. NOW to get the bionic to work right and all will be well.

Doc

0 Likes
rpgj

**UPDATE**

I have to say I am very pleased with VZW's response and attention to this matter.

First of all, there was acknowledgement on behalf of VZW that the map was incorrect and I was told this was being reviewed and upon that review, it was determined that either the map would be adjusted, but there was also the possibility that the upgrade might be imminent.  So if I saw that the map wasn't changed, then that could mean good news for Oxford.

So tonight, I get the email update on expanding coverage and new 4G cities.  Didn't see anything for Oxford or an expansion for the Cincinnati area, but, lo and behold, I see the 4G at the top of my Tbolt for the very first time in my home, in all its digital glory.  Speed test confirms just under 12 mps down and just above 3mps up. 

Whoever "Chris" is, the Mankato, MN VZW tech I dealt with....he deserves to move up in the organization as his service was superb and top notch, calling me back, leaving voicemails on updates to my inquiry and just dealing with me like a valued customer overall.  It's almost like my little town got 4G because I asked (but I know better, of course).

Just be persistent, respectful and inquisitive when you make your inquiries and hopefully you'll get a Chris to help you on the other end.

I know it may go in and out over the next little bit since it's so new, but good luck to all nonetheless.

0 Likes
TheSteelman
Enthusiast - Level 2
I probably have the best story of all. I live in a 1200 ft dead zone.

I live in Avon, OH and my street is centered between two main roads.

If I drive left towards Colorado Ave 4G kicks on. If I drive right towards Long Rd 4G kicks on. Everything inbetween is stuck in 3G land.

I've talked to the store & 611 and nobody can explain why two towers broadcasting 4G can't overlap to cover us.
0 Likes
Doc832
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is funny. I had picked my truck up from the shop this morning and decided to try it out. I watched the phone service and it is all around our developement but NOT in. You wonder how radio signals can drop like that. I have not tried standing on the roof yet but that is next. I am glad that 4g goes all the way to the end of the map they show, however I am still not in that coverage area for Northern Ohio.

4g will be the death of us!

0 Likes
rpgj

So Oxford has 4G now.....well, not really NOW, because, guess what?  It's out again!  I have to airplane-mode it, then it picks up 4G, then reverts to 3G.  Restart.  4G again. Then gone. Have had 4G all day and week in Cincinnati, with no problems (recent national outages notwithstanding).

But in Oxford, it can't hold a 4G signal

Tier 2 tech support right now, and she wants to tell me it's either my SIM card or I need to hard reset.  Why, when it was working fine in another 4G market is it the phone and not the newly born 4G tower here?  Why isn't my word good enough and I have to go through the rigamarole of the most inconvenient option, given recent nationwide data problems on the network?

Put on hold for 20+ minutes.......then they dropped me at 1128pm.  Nice service, there Verizon.  Can't call back now it's after hours and the tech obviously had no intention of getting back to me while she "searched" for other options. She needs to sit at the feet of Chris in Mankato and learn a few things.

But I've got 3G again on my 4G flagship Thunderbolt, but that means nothing.  Even the bandwidth on 3G right now is insufficient to even play a video.

CAN SOMEONE ELSE HERE IN OXFORD (IF YOU'RE READING) CONFIRM THIS SHODDY 4G COVERAGE?

0 Likes
just4747

Same issue here in Shelton, CT 06484. On the Verizon coverage map, it shows very specific and fully covered 4G in all areas at and around my address. In fact, most of/all of my town is fully covered. Yet I get not a tiny bit of 4G signal at my house, nor nearby.

In actuality, I've gotten 4G in maybe one or two spots in my entire town since owning my Galaxy Nexus since launch day. In those areas and in other towns where I do get 4G, it connects and works fine.

What BS, they should either work to get coverage to these areas or change their maps to be accurate. What lies. God knows when these areas will actually be covered, if ever.

0 Likes