Mi-Fi and a router
JamesE

I have a Cannon printer on a router. They say it's the only way to make it wireless. I have 4G MI-FI4510L. To print off internet, I have to click print, which puts it in printer queue,Then disconnect Mi-Fi and turn Router on. Any way that both can be recognized and print straight from internet while still on internet?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Mi-Fi and a router
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

The MiFi 4510L is a wireless only device.  If your Cannon printer does not have a WiFi adapter built into it then it will not be able to directly connect to the MiFi.  Since the MiFi does not have a Ethernet Cable port, you will not be able to link the MiFi to your home router and share the same network.

What you should do instead is connect your printer to your computer via USB when you are connected to the MiFi. 

Here is a diagram:

Printer >> Computer >> MiFi >> Internet

0 Likes
JamesE

My Cannon printer is wireless but cannon said I needed a router for my laptops to recognize it. Before the router the laptop could not find it.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

James,

See the User's Manual for your printer for the specific instructions on how to setup a wireless printer.  It sounds like your printer has the capabilities that you want, now you just have to work with Cannon until you have everything configured correctly. 

I imagine the printer will have some kind of interface which will allow you to search for the SSID of the MiFi and enter the wireless password.  The MiFi will be no different than the router you currently have hooked up to this printer.  If the SSID is not appearing on the printer then you might want to switch the 802.11 Mode from B/G/N to B/G.  Let us know if you need the steps.

Keep in mind the range of the MiFi is much smaller than a home router.  You will need to stay relatively close to all the devices in order to keep the connections up and talking to eachother.  Once you successfully connect the printer to the MiFi then it should be visible to any computers connected to the MiFi too.

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

You can get a PepWave Surf, WIFI as a WAN

http://3gstore.com/product/1813_pepwave-surf-mini-200.htmlhttp://3gstore.com/product/1813_pepwave-surf-mini-200.html

You setup would look like this

MIFI-----PepWaveSurf----Router----Printer

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The pepwave is definitly an interesting peice of equiptment which appears to address all of the roadblocks in this situation.  I've never tinkered with a device like that but it sounds like it would be helpful.  The diagram that TechIsMyLife provided does seem feasible.  Thanks for sharing that link!

Keep in mind that even though the PepWave would allow you to connect the MiFi to the Router, you still have to cascade them togeather in order to make them share the same network.  A quick Google search should reveal the steps necessary to complete the cascading process.

I think a better setup would be to eliminate the 2nd router if at all possible.  That way you can have the printer connect wirelessly to the MiFi and cut out an extra piece of equiptment to manage.  From the information you have provided so far, it sounds like you only need the extra router to enable your printer anyways.  If you find that you really want that extra router to be involved, then TechIsMyLife's solution is the only way to do it.

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

The Pepwave is Flawless

Easy to setup and when you order it from the link i gave you they have free tech support and comes with an easy tip sheet on how to setup.

I use the Pepwave Surf with my Mifi 2200 from Verizon wireless and my linksys home router.  here is how I have my setup

Mifi2200-------PepWave Surf -----Linksys Home Router----Printer

http://3gstore.com/product/1813_pepwave-surf-mini-200.html

0 Likes