MiFi 4510L 4G service very very slow
jdkgac

Verizon Support:

I purchased a MiFi 4510L  device with 4G LTE service.  However, I get very slow data speeds with this in 4G mode - like 0.3 Mbps.  When I switch it to 3G, it gets much faster - like up to 2 Mbps. 

I am paying for 4G service, but not receiving it.  I am very dissatisfied with the experience so far.

I am located in Bluffton, SC (29910).

Verizon, please advise/explain.

Thanks,

Jonathan  King

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4510L 4G service very very slow
scard1

I upgraded to 4G LTE MiFi last mont and I wish I had let my contract run out at the end of Jan. and went to another phone and internet. I have had nothing but problems and they are getting worse. Slow speeds, slower than my old 3G MiFi  at times, and no service at times. Customer service replaced my new unit with a rebuilt one and Still had the same problems. They told me that they had checked my area and that they agree that 4G coverage here is spotty. When I wanted to return my my 4G and go back to my 3G and wanted out of the new 2 year contract, I was told that reception was only gurranted outside of my house not inside and that I was stuck with the bad service and my 2 year contract. I have used Verizon phone and internet for many years and have never been treated like this , except maybe at the  stores where they screw up on a regular basis and will even lie. I am going to buy out my 4G plan and drop my phone at the end of the month when my contract is up. The BBB will also be hearing about this. So if you are haveing problems with your 4G MiFi, their best advice is set you unit outside.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

JD,

Your MiFi does not sound like it is performing correctly.  4G should be atleast 5 Mbps when testing on Speedtest.net.  What I suggest is a level 2 reset to clear up your SIM card and reconnect to the local towers.

Level 2 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Remove the SIM card
  5. Allow the MiFi to sit for 30 seconds
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test the Connection

Performance problems are normally temporary and can be resolved.  If you continue to have poor performance then perhaps there is some strong interferance where you are trying to use the MiFi.  You shouldnt have to go outside, but try to conduct a Site Survey to see if you can get any better results.  Here is a great link to walk you through the Site Survey process:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

If you find a good area then I can share some info on boosters and antennas which may make the MiFi more consistent for you.  If not then contact VZW support directly through the 1-800 number.  They should be able to confirm a service problem in your area.

0 Likes
scard1

I have done everything customer service has suggested including removing the sims card. They even came out in my area and tested the signal strength, which they said was weak and sporadic. They admit that I am not going to get good 4G. The only suggestion was that I set the unit outside and see if that helps.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Scard1,

It sounds like 4G LTE isnt going to be worth the investment for you.

If you wanted to spend the money on boosting your signal then you could take a look at the home products offered by Wilson Electronics.  Thier boosters and repeater products would allow you to pull an outside signal and rebroadcast it inside your house to make the MiFi more convenient.

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/ProductListing.aspx?Category=9&title=Small+Areas

Otherwise, you might have a case to step out of your contract without paying the Early Termination Fee.  VZW admiting they cannot improve the service in your area gives you some leverage.  I've read threads where similar users in your situation were successful in backing out.

0 Likes