Re: MiFi 4510L Shortcomings
rherman

On the 4G network I am getting a private 10.x IP and on the 3G network I am getting a public IP.  Moving back and forth with different IP and NAT arrangements would certainly be a problem.

0 Likes
oosillyoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

rherman wrote:

On the 4G network I am getting a private 10.x IP and on the 3G network I am getting a public IP.  Moving back and forth with different IP and NAT arrangements would certainly be a problem.

When you get a public IP address on the 3G network are you in a true 3G only area or on the fringe of a 3G/4G network? I was told the 4G devices will get private addresses on the 3G network no matter where they connect. Seems I need to do some driving today.

0 Likes
rherman

I use the 3G network mostly in Maine which is about 120 miles from the closest 4G network and I have been getting a public IP there.  I was getting private IPs on the 3G network until they had the major outage and then I started getting public IPs again ever since.

0 Likes
oosillyoo
Enthusiast - Level 2
In Buffalo, NY, where they only have 3G service, I get a private IP address on my Samsung hotspot. I wonder if Buffalo is getting ready to upgrade to 4G and the service just hasn't bee turned on yet.
0 Likes
azr8rsfan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm about at my wit's end with Verizon supported cra p.  I purchased this hw in anticipation of XOOM capability, and no XOOM 4g capability to date.

So I attempt to use 3g with the XOOM and it only works when it's unplugged.  WHY IS THAT?  Of course the battery life barely tops an hour, so no worries THERE.

Where's the 4g capability for the XOOM ... big red?

Where's the quality 3g hw I can use with the XOOM in the interim...big red? 

You're charging me up the wazzoo for stuff that doesn't work consistently.

And now the leakage about data throttling.  PRECIOUS.

0 Likes
Not applicable
Well I definitely understand your frustration with the issues you are having with this device. We don't have exact dates on the 4G upgrade for the Xoom, but you can view information and sign up for alerts here. I have not heard of this issue with 3G not working when the device is unplugged. I have had a Xoom myself since shortly after it was released and never use it while on the charger, and still get 10 hours battery life. Do you have cell phones with 3G in the same area? Are they able to connect to 3G consistently? It sounds like there may be an issue with your specific device, as these issues are not common. I would recommend checking what programs you have running by going to Settings>Applications>Running Services and periodically closing running applications. Did this issue start after installing a new application, if so, I would recommend uninstalling the application. 

You can also try booting the device into safe mode which disables any 3rd party applications. First turn off the device. Then press and hold both volume keys. While holding the volume keys, press the power button for about 5 seconds. When Powering on BP appears at the top left, release the keys. Test your 3G connectivity and battery life. If you are having issues in safe mode, factory reset the device. If it is working fine in safe mode, that means you are having an issue with a 3rd party application. 

0 Likes
lfirwin

I just upgraded from the 2200 to the 4510L yesterday because the 2200 would go dormant when switching from EVDO to 1xRTT, and basically kick me off the internet.  I use my MiFi constantly for work (no other high speed alternatives where I live), and it was a total pain in the butt.  Mind you, I travelled all the way across country with the 2200 about 6 months ago, and it worked fine when switching between 1xRTT and EVDO.  I worked while my wife drove.

I don't have 4G yet in my neck of the woods, but Verizon is coming this way (bought out Alltel).  I'm still experiencing drops in my internet connections, but just did a hard reset on the device and we'll see if that fixes anything. 

If the reset works, maybe that's what my 2200 needed....  Oh well.  Should have checked here sooner.

Question - does this device not work with the Verizon Access Manager?

0 Likes
SunflowerAnn

Thanks for stating it clearly - this unit is NOT ready for non-IT people nor is it stable.  I'm fine with connecting, reconnecting, resetting, resetting and then resetting again while watching the LED and holding the button for 3 seconds, 5-10 seconds, 10-15 seconds or the latest number suggested. 

So much for placing the unit and being free to use the wireless devices anywhere within range.  One of the five users has to be the assigned baby-sitter and have the unit in arms reach.  Business people would go mad.

Home users actually want to check emails, shop, send or receive important data as you would expect to do online.  My husband refuses to use the computer now so I'm doing his research and checking his email as well as my own.  Had this unit 2 weeks, only 104 weeks left on the contract.

Had to reset and reconnect while writing this post.

0 Likes
SR45

Just have to reply to this thread about the issues with 4G and this MiFi unit.  Glad I read up on this new system and sorry for those that are having these issues as early adopters.  For me, I wanted a MiFi from Verizon but no more.  Not until the glitches are fixed and it does not seem it will be soon either. 

Goodness Verizon, get on the ball and fix this.  Should not have released it unless it actually works and not put these customers to a lot of grief.    

0 Likes
Ozob
Enthusiast - Level 2
Just to clarify, as I have been using this device for over a month; these problems are not just in 4G. These problems are in 3G, EVDO & 1xRTT as well. I have mostly used the device in 3G & 1xRTT areas and it continually locks up. When traveling into a 4G area, Phoenix, it will not automatically switch to 4G. I have to go into the admin page and switch it to 4G (LTE only) manually.

Don't fret, I do the factory reset from time to time when the device is just totally haywire.

Why won't Verizon respond to these problems?
0 Likes