Re: MiFi 4510L Shortcomings
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

I still hold to the theory this device was rushed to market to help pacify the masses struggling with the other 4G devices, and also Novatel wanted to match the release date of the Samsung.  The fact there hasn't been any firmware update since release and these problems still persist means they were not even near having a stable release and are still trying to complete development (in my opinion.)

Also I have to put in my thanks to Todd Lovebridge (Verizon) for totally screwing me on this whole replacement so not only did I end up with the worst of the 4G devices thanks to his lies I ended up paying more for it....

Dragoneer
Enthusiast - Level 1

deloswilbur wrote:

I still hold to the theory this device was rushed to market to help pacify the masses struggling with the other 4G devices, and also Novatel wanted to match the release date of the Samsung.  The fact there hasn't been any firmware update since release and these problems still persist means they were not even near having a stable release and are still trying to complete development (in my opinion.)

I'm pretty enraged. I have a 4501L as well, and this thing is utterly useless. I can never keep a connection going for more than 60-90 seconds (if I'm lucky) unless I setup a ping to constantly run, and even then it's flaky. Verizon's store associates (Reston, VA) said that the constant disconnects were a "power saving feature" and that it wouldn't interrupt "regular browsing". Which is cool, given I can't do that either.

The worst part about this is I'm stuck in a two year contract on a device I can't use. I bought it for work... and I can't use it.

kentiler

If you've been having these issues since you signed the contract, speak with a manager.  I'm on my 3rd device and I flat out told him if this one doesn't work I'm coming back to you and you will let me out of my contract, and he agreed!

--Kent

0 Likes
BeezNeez

Absolutely baffled this device doesn't have a firmware update yet.  Verizon/Novatel, **bleep** are you guys doing?

0 Likes
Farmer-Girl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm also crazy-unhappy with this miserable little device.  We live out in the country, and our only options for internet service are wifi and satellite...  We don't have 4G coverage, but we're in a solid 3G area, so this sucker ought to work.  We've had the 4510 for about two months now - when it works, it's wonderful, but mostly, it's just awful.  It randomly turns itself off - - other times, it goes dormant for no apparent reason (when we're trying and trying to transmit) - - and still other times, the purple light will be flashing, but absolutely nothing is happening (we have a connection with the device, but can't get to the internet).  It also SLOWS WAY DOWN around lunchtime and 5 PM...  when everyone in the world is trying to access the net.

After more than an hour on the phone with Tech Support, they sent me a new device - but there's no difference with the new one.  We've tried everything - taking out/putting back the battery, taking out/putting back the SIM card, pressing the RESET button, navigating into the device to "Restore Factory Defaults" - - and my husband still wants to run it down the garbage disposal.  Some of these things will help for a few hours - but more often, lately, nothing helps, and I end up going to the public library for internet support.  I work from home a few days a week (not today, obviously, since I'm online), and I need something reliable.  Should I "downgrade" to a 3G device, or just make the switch over to satellite????

HELP!!

0 Likes
sweet52

The 4510L is total crap. I travel 5 days a week for work, in 4-5 cities per week. I've tried the 4510L for 6 weeks in all the major and minor midwest markets and it is NEVER reliable. It doesn't work long in a stationary scenario and it really craps out while moving. As a network engineer, I did packet captures between my devices and the MiFi and it just plain stops transiting the traffic. The packets go outbound and the responses never come back. 

After 6 weeks of continuous frustration I switched to the Samsung SCH-LC11, which is working flawlessly. I just got back from a road trip accross Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and Oklahoma and the device worked exactly as expected on the 1x, 3G, and 4G networks with seamless switching and continous use. I had all three of my teenagers using it the whole road trip down I-35 from Minneapolis to Kansas City and then down to Tulsa and back.

I would highly recommend you ask Verizon to exchange the unit for the Samsung. The Samsung also has a firmware update which I upgraded to before testing. There is an extended battery pack available for the Samsung too.

- Andrew

0 Likes
jeremybe

How did you get Verizon to swap for a Samsung device?This unit has been useless and if the Samsung is better I'd swap in a heart beat...My 3G Mifi was great, this one is useless if you're driving at all

0 Likes
jaguarjml

This device is terrible....Awful performance.  Having the exact same problems that everyone else is listing on this post.

Maybe Verizon will get an update out?????????????????

0 Likes
jaguarjml

Furthermore, I have tried every single solution possible found on Google and other forums to help alleviate some of the problems the 4510L has....none of them work.

The device is junk.  Very unhappy verizon customer right now.

0 Likes
jwasilko

I'm having similar problems with my 4510L. I 'upgraded' from a 3G usb modem, and I've had so many connection problems I'm at my wit's end. This is obviously not a product that's ready for prime time.

I look forward to hearing how Verizon's going to fix this--either with a firmware update or a recall.

0 Likes