Re: MiFi 4510L Shortcomings
Rasengan254

@John

I had a unit that did the same exact thing that the OP experienced.

The unit I had would constantly lock up and not emit a Wi-Fi signal and it would boot my A500 Tablet off of the internet at least 3 times a day even with minimal use.  Also like the OP the unit would not allow me to power cycle it, no matter how long I held on to the power button, a battery pull would need to be done EVERY time it locked up.

I have read on other posts this may be an issue with a bad SIM card?  Not sure, but I did take the unit back and had it exchanged and the MiFi I have now has not experienced any of the problems I had with the previous unit.

0 Likes
nremtp3070
I just received my 4510 and it drops the wifi connection about every 5 or 10 minutes like several others on here. When it does the only way to get the signal to come back on is to remove the battery because the device appears to be "locked up" and the power button won't turn the device off.

Dwayne
0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

This device is absolute crap at this time.  Compared to the previous Novatel MIFI 2200 it's night and day difference.  This device is totally flaky, anytime you want to use it there is 10+ minutes of fighting with it to just get any connection, all bets are off on if it's a 3G or 4G connection, it won't hold one or the other reliably.  I so wish I could go back to the USB modems which at least just dropped connection and didn't involve a massive battle to get it back.  Unfortunately I am stuck with the MIFI now due to the totally irresponsible nature of customer support and fact though I appear to have now been forced to do an upgrade and renew my contract, I had to send in my old modem so I don't have it anymore.  I am so keeping an eye out for any notice of class action lawsuit as Verizon needs to feel a little of the pain we are....

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Dwayne!

Having to constantly remove your MiFi battery and constantly losing connections would be a nuisance.  I use the same device, but haven't experienced problems with mine, so I'm sure I can get this working properly for you.  Have you tried deleting and recreating the Wi-Fi connection on your computer?  If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would perform a hard reset of the MiFi 4510L.  The instructions for the hard reset on the MiFi 4510L are included in this link.

Let me know how this works for you!

0 Likes
oosillyoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

AnthonyTa_VZW wrote:

Hello Dwayne!

Having to constantly remove your MiFi battery and constantly losing connections would be a nuisance.  I use the same device, but haven't experienced problems with mine, so I'm sure I can get this working properly for you.  Have you tried deleting and recreating the Wi-Fi connection on your computer?  If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would perform a hard reset of the MiFi 4510L.  The instructions for the hard reset on the MiFi 4510L are included in this link.

Let me know how this works for you!

Anthony,

After reading your post I see you have no problems with your MiFI, is that true? If so, I would love to get a chance to use your MiFi and see it work without a problem. I will personally cover my own travel to see this "perfect" working MiFi.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

It may be like the one's they have set up in the stores.  I was waiting in store this weekend and saw a display with two ipad's and a MIFI sitting between them.  I was thinking "wow, maybe they do work well", then I looked at the display and realized there was no  devices attached to the MIFI and they were just making it look that way but using the store wifi to connect....

0 Likes
rherman

My 4510L has been working great.  I have been in Jacksonville, FL and am currently in Philadelphia, PA and in both cities I am consistently getting speeds of 18Mb/5Mb.  That's very impressive.  I had trouble with the 4510L until I configured it to use wireless g only.  Wireless N was causing a lot of problems for me.  I can't say enough good about Verizon's 4G network and the 4510l.

0 Likes
oosillyoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

rherman wrote:

My 4510L has been working great.  I have been in Jacksonville, FL and am currently in Philadelphia, PA and in both cities I am consistently getting speeds of 18Mb/5Mb.  That's very impressive.  I had trouble with the 4510L until I configured it to use wireless g only.  Wireless N was causing a lot of problems for me.  I can't say enough good about Verizon's 4G network and the 4510l.

rherman,

Do you use your device mostly stationary or mobile? And are you able to start in a 4G area, roam to 3G, then roam back to 4G without having to reboot? Also, are you using this for short period of times or over long periods of time?

0 Likes
rherman

My usage is mostly stationary in hotels and offices and I have not had much transition from 3G to 4G.  I am either starting it up in 3G or 4G and staying in that coverage.  Possibly that is why I am having good luck.

0 Likes
oosillyoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

rherman wrote:

My usage is mostly stationary in hotels and offices and I have not had much transition from 3G to 4G.  I am either starting it up in 3G or 4G and staying in that coverage.  Possibly that is why I am having good luck.

My biggest problem with the Novatel MiFi has been roaming issues. I live on the edge of the 4G network so I roam often, even when stationary.

0 Likes