MiFi 4G upgrade VPN iPad Issue
jfloyd

I upgraded my old 3G MiFi to the 4G MiFi today. On the 3G version I had an IPSEC VPN connection working between my iPad2 and my network. My LapTop also had a working VPN IPSEC VPN connection. After the upgrade to the 4G the Laptop IPSEC continues to work just fine (and faster). The iPAD VPN does not work. The iPad says the VPN is connected but I cannot get any data through the tunnel.

So the question. What is different between the 3G and 4G network in terms of the IP stack?

Has anyone seen this problem? If so, is there a solution?

The other end of the VPN is a Netgear FVS338GV1 if anyone is interested.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4G upgrade VPN iPad Issue
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

There is no recorded difference in the IPStack between the 3G and 4G devices.  I suggest reinstalling the VPN on your iPad.  If that doesnt work then I suggest resetting the MiFi to its defaults with the Restore Defaults button under the back cover.

Make sure your internet connection is working before you try using the VPN connection too.  There might be a higher level connection problem between the iPad and the MiFi which should be corrected before adding in a VPN element.

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4G upgrade VPN iPad Issue
jfloyd
In talking with support the main difference is the 4g network is behind a NAT.

The iPad VPN is part of the os, so reinstalling it is not a good option.

This test failed in the. Store with the MiFi still in default mode. We. Also upgraded the firmware on the device.

Biz services said I could purchase a static IP for $500. Not an option for personal use.

With any luck the new iOS 5 will have a more robust VPN that will work behind a NAT. At lest I that is the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.
0 Likes