Might be a stupid question, but... Verizon employee told me that 3G essentially = 4G
Serge28

I'm looking to upgrade my original Droid and have been looking hard at Droid 3 lately because it has a physical keyboard. However, it doesn't have 4G. I went to my local Verizon store and once I switched my sights there from Droid 3 to Droid Bionic because of its 4G capabilities, the store employee told me that I should go with Droid 3 as there is no real broadband difference between 3G and 4G. The ONLY time you feel the difference is when you are connected to a mobile hotspot. Since 4G phones eat up battery faster than 3G, according to him my decision between Droid Bionic and Droid 3 is a no-brainer.

Is he right or am I out of my mind here?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Might be a stupid question, but... Verizon employee told me that 3G essentially = 4G
Tidbits
Legend

Serge28 wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade my original Droid and have been looking hard at Droid 3 lately because it has a physical keyboard. However, it doesn't have 4G. I went to my local Verizon store and once I switched my sights there from Droid 3 to Droid Bionic because of its 4G capabilities, the store employee told me that I should go with Droid 3 as there is no real broadband difference between 3G and 4G. The ONLY time you feel the difference is when you are connected to a mobile hotspot. Since 4G phones eat up battery faster than 3G, according to him my decision between Droid Bionic and Droid 3 is a no-brainer.

Is he right or am I out of my mind here?

He is partially correct.  With small files you won't really notice a difference, but larger files, or using the mobile hotspot is where it really shines.  It is true currently 4G does eat up more battery life than 3G, but should get better over time imho.

Honestly if you are not going to be doing large file transfers 4G is completely over-rated.  Most people won't  be able to really see the difference between the two for most things they do it for.  

0 Likes
Re: Might be a stupid question, but... Verizon employee told me that 3G essentially = 4G
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks for the feedback !

Hello Serge28!

I understand your concern with differences between our 3G and 4G devices.  I would be happy to share some information with you.

If you are looking for even faster speeds for data intensive applications, like video streaming and large file upload and downloads, then a 4G device would be for you.  4G data speeds are up to 10 times faster than 3G speeds.  You would have to be in a 4G coverage area in order to get the 4G speeds.  Download a song in 4 seconds, a photo in 6 seconds and movies in minutes.  Upload a 10 MB PowerPoint presentation in 10 seconds.  Video Chat LIVE, without pesky network interruptions, and talk while surfing on 4G LTE smartphones.  We have more great information about our 4G LTE network and devices here.

I trust we have answered your questions, and have addressed your concerns.

0 Likes