Morgantown WV Extended 3g coverage
Gosefroba

I currently reside in Morgantown WV, which does not have 3G or 4G LTE, but will soon .  So anyway, this morning I accidentally switch my phone into airplane mode.  As soon as I saw this I switch off airplane mode only to see that instead of seeing the typical "Extended" I saw "Extended 3G" and got a little excited.  I then sadly noticed about 2 mins later it went back to 1x speeds and the 3G was gone.  I thought maybe it had to do with airplane mode being toggled on and off.  I then toggled the airplane mode on and off and I got 3g for again a few mins.  I then thought it was possibly my phone was lying to me of what the radio was actually receiving.  So, I then thought to see if I was getting true 3g speeds by runing the speedtest app.  When the phone was displaying 3g I got 0.67 Mbits down and 0.62 up.  Then when the data switched back to 1x I ran the same test on the same server and received a much higher ping an about 0.1 Mbits down and about 0.11 up.  Both test where in the exact same location in my house.

So ultimately my question is why is Verizon not allowing their customers to have 3g speeds when they are available and could this have to do with the tower being built in Morgantown?????

EDIT:

Here are some images of speed test I just ran

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Morgantown WV Extended 3g coverage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Gosefroba! I can certainly understand the importance of having reliable wireless service! If you are in an extended area then the signal that you are picking up is not from a Verizon Wireless tower. If that was the case then I can assure you that you will have the reliable and consistent 3G service that we are known to provide. Since the towers are owned by another company, if you are having issues then we may need to reach out to them to get the issue resolved. If you are interested in having a ticket opened then please reply to this message as I am eager to assist! ^AH

0 Likes
Gosefroba

That would be amazing!!!

0 Likes
scrowe18

This trick to get Extended 3G also worked for me, in iPhone 4.  It will eventually switch back to 1X but just repeat the airplane mode steps.  It then goes back to 3G

0 Likes
BURG

They put 4g towers on top of hotel morgan....just waiting for verizon to activate the service

0 Likes
justcara

I am having this same issue as well in Morgantown.  How can I get help resolving it?  Thanks so much!

0 Likes
d10m27

verizon morgantown pic.png

This is obviously from a few weeks ago.  I am not sure if this (magical 4g) has been happening with anyone else's phone, but it has been happening with my phone frequently (a few times a week).  This typically occurs on the Evansdale Campus of WVU, although it has occurred elsewhere.  My phone will work fine on the 4g data network, and acts as though it is on Verizon (although I still can't send more than 160 character texts, another frustration).  Then the next second, literally, my phone will revert back to the 'extended network' and the dial up of the mobile data world, 1x.  Not sure why, maybe it is testing, and still probably no one will be informed until the 4g network becomes live in Morgantown, WV (if it ever happens at this point).

Also, my phone is a Droid 4, and on my sister's phone, the iPhone 4, at the exact same time my phone says 4g, hers still says extended.  Once again, no idea why this is happening and would love to know.

0 Likes