Re: Motorola Droid Razr Hotspot issue
Doodlebugger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please let us know how that goes. Will they let you exchange your defective riser for a new one. I don't think you would be fair for them to charge you a restock either.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you to the community for commenting and posting on this issue. At this point in time this is a known issue and there is resolution coming. A fix for this issue is under review and will be included in the second post launch maintenance release software for this device. The tentative release date is mid February 2012. I hope this helps. Thanks for you patience.

SammuelP_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
scottysize
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have news for you.  This is completely unacceptable.  There is no reason for me to pay for something that I can't use!  Verizon people don't even know about this issue, unless they are 2nd level tech.  You're hiding the fact that Hotspot does not work on the Razr, AND your reps are STILL selling the phones to people that want to use it as a hotspot.  I bought mine in October and my hotspot hasn't worked since switching from the worse phone ever, a Charge.  At least the Charge's hotspot worked.  The way I see it, you owe me back charges for the hotspot problem since I haven't been able to use my hotspot for 3 months now. 

I called today and CANCELLED my hotspot.  There goes $30 per month for your service.  $30 that you were getting that wasn't costing you anything to provide.  You should be provide it for free anyway.  It doesn't cost Verizon extra for the providing a hotspot.

0 Likes
fmsheen

Both Motorola and Verizon have known this HotSpot issue for sometime, and yet they still sell the RAZR phone HotSpot service. Selling defective products is unethical, like stealing. Verizon has to return the data plan charge to all those RAZR buyers who use HotSpot!

0 Likes
scottysize
Enthusiast - Level 1

I completely agree.  I went into my local VZW store Thursday when the Maxx came out to test the hotspot.  I had the Store manager, sales person, and tech support guy all looking over my shoulder on my ASUS Prime while I demonstrated the problem.  All three of them had the same reaction and said the same thing.  "I had no idea it didn't work."  It is unacceptable to have communication problems while selling in a communication industry. 

0 Likes
tammyopp

I have the same isue with all my computers running windows XP with my Samson Stratosphere. I think it is an issue with the Droid and not a particular phone. The phone connects just fine to computers running Windows 7 or vista. Some websites work and others just try to load forever. Of course those are the ones I want/need to get on.

0 Likes
renntek07

It's the end of May, 2012. The issue still isn't resolved yet. The main reason I got this phone, was because of the hotspot. I was told that it would be fixed, and that there would be a software update for the Razr (i'm assuming ICS, due out in April.)  I got a software update, which wasn't ICS, but since then my phone loses signal at least a few times per day, and the Hotspot still doesn't work. I can't hook it up to anything except my PS3 at home, and that includes 2 laptops, a PC, a server, an xbox360, a tablet, and a wii.  I really think something needs to be done about this. I have always been a loyal Verizon Wireless customer / supporter, but this is frankly unacceptable.

0 Likes
ixpro

Purchased RAZR Maxx at a Verizon store after a long discussion with the sales person where I specifically asked if the Wireless Hotspot feature is robust for daily use. I work in IT Security, and travel across the country on a regular basis, so I counted on this device to be my primary 4G connection to the world... Silly silly me.

All of this in the "red" 4G LTE coverage areas, where Verizon sales people swear by their lives the connectivity should be top notch:

- Hotspot fails to start, simply reports "Error" in the gray status line;

- Despite the fact that it's configured to broadcast SSID, my wireless network is invisible to my laptops;

- When and if it becomes visible, most of the time the laptops trying to connect to it report errors in the initial stages;

- If your 4G data link goes down and is re-established, most of the time the hotspot will have to be restarted;

- Some web sites are still "invisible" while others are functioning fine;

- Sometimes my VPNs to customers work fine, sometimes they aren't able to connect while general Internet connectivity is there.

Take all of the above, and repeat it 2-3 times an hour!

That's my current experience with RAZR Maxx hotspot feature... Can't blame it on my laptops or the area for one simple reason: I have 2 more WiFi hotspot enabled devices with me, and they work like a charm every time, non stop, everywhere where there's coverage.

I don't know if all these issues are in software, or in some hardware design flaw, but I honestly don't give a flying f..k anymore. The service is being billed to all of us silly trusting customers who bought it. Gonna go talk to the same Verizon sales dude again, he's gonna do a full reset of my phone again, and everything will be the same once I get back from the store.

My final advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS DEVICE & VERIZON if you want a wireless hotspot functionality you can count on. Gonna re-post this message on all the forums I can find, so people can make better choices having learned from our collective experiences.

0 Likes
ixpro

Latest update. Just got upgraded to ICS software. No change in HotSpot behavior. Still the same set of issues as described above, plus a new one... From time to time the phone brings up a warning dialog saying "Mobile data disabled. You've reached the specified data usage limit..."   Guess which data plan I actually have? Bingo, the UNLIMITED one!

Great job again Verizon. Way to improve customer satisfaction. I wish I could just return this piece of crap and exchange it for the Galaxy or an iPhone.

0 Likes