Re: My (Bionic/Charge/Thunderbolt) keeps losing data signal
tmwes

Yesterday I spoke to a tech support rep who asked me to try one thing (make sure data roaming was checked), and get back to him with the results.  He actually gave me his personal cell and told me to text him with a number I could be reached at to discuss the results.

The results?  Data was horrible on my ride home yesterday, and today I had ZERO data during my entire 55 minute commute into work.  Not great if you want to use Waze for traffic, or stream music/podcasts, or use Google Voice to make all calls (as I do).

This rep is sending me a Rezound as a replacement.  I declinded the RAZR, because it seems that they are having similar issues regarding data drops.  Since this phone is going to my wife when my upgrade is due next week and I get the Nexus, the Rezound also makes more sense since she currently has an Incredible.

0 Likes
wkwaggoner

I have the Bionic.  It has data issues.  Use airplane on/off and turn off/on many times during the day.  Since the update it has gotten worse.  I have read a lot about this issue and it doesn't appear to be the phone, the software probably, but the network can be the biggest issue.  I have gone to CDMA only and it still does the same thing.  I was going to call support, but that seems a zero since others out there have done as such and they still have the problem either right away or after a couple of days.  I will wait to see what happens out there but need some "we have a problem and we are working on it" from VZW at this point.  A contract is a contract and I've been with VZW since the beginning.  Please, let us know what is up.  Communication from a communication company is what I require, as do many other loyal clients. 

0 Likes
paddlergurl808

Hi All..I've been following a couple of forums since I started having problems with the data connectivity with my droid about a month ago.  This phone was working brilliantly when I first got it and now, I'm so frustrated .  I mean, I live in Hawaii but come on!  This is primarily a work phone and because of the loss of data issue, I haven't been receiving important customer voicemails until a day or two later.  I've put in 4 calls to Verizon over the last month and it's still happening.  But here's a brief summary of what I've been instructed to do by Verizon reps so far:

1. In the settings menu

-wireless & networks -> mobile networks ->changed network mode to CDMA only (which means only 3G) - so frustrating - why the heck have a 4g phone?

-wireless & networks -> mobile networks ->turn off wi-fi - still no data

-battery & data manager -> data delivery ->check all 3 options listed - still no data

2. Remove the battery everytime I lose data- data was restored after I did this each time but I got tired of doing this continuously during the day.

3. Toggle between airplane mode so I don't have to remove the battery - somewhat effective, it was 50/50 sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.  The last tech support person told me to stop doing this to restore data connection.

2. Get latest update 5.5.893 - Installed it last week & I heard this was supposed to fix the data problem - nope

3. Restart in safemode and see if 3g came on - nada

So finally today, the tech support guy said it might be either 1) the sim card or 2) the update didn't install all the way (what?!?!)  Anyway, I have a replacement phone with the update pre-installed and another sim card on the way to me to see if that fixes the problem.

But, on another note, after I talked to tech support today, I came across a forum that said if you have an app like the juice defender, it could be causing the loss of data connectivity.  I did happen to have it installed so I've uninstalled and and will see how the phone works the rest of today.

Fingers crossed for a solution sooner rather than later....

0 Likes
p_71287
I just got the bionic on Sunday (3 days ago). I wish I had read this thread before I purchased. I figured by now they would have these issues fixed. I also had 2 droids before this and had Verizon for many years and have never had connection issues. I live in Houston where 4g should never lose connection in such a big city. The biggest problem I have is the failure to switch over to 3g automatically when 4g does not have connectivity in cdma/lte mode...well really the biggest issue is why the efff am I not getting 4g in the first place!!!! Pretty **bleep** about this. Let me know if anyone figures anything out that has not already been discussed. Thanks.
0 Likes
p_71287
Lol right after posting I called *611 and the automated system said they're aware of the 4g problem in my area and are working on resolving the issue. Some hope towards the issue (very little, and at least in my area).
0 Likes
johnnyabgood

I have had similar issues with my Moto Bionic.  After speaking with the VerizonWireless they informed me also that this is a known issue. And was very sympathetic to my situation.  Actually the support person told me that she sent her phone back within the 14 days because she needed a good connection, and the Bionic did not have it. And since my phone was more than 14 days, I can not receive an update, even if I wanted to pay the difference. She also suggested that I contact Motorola directly.  She would transfer me if I wanted, but I had other priorities at the time.

What really irks me about this is that I was in the VerizonWireless store last night and they are still selling the Bionic. When on hold the support lines audio has a sales pitch about how the best phone is the bionic.  Isn't this selling under false pretense? They are selling a phone that they know does not do what they allude to.  

Sound like fraud to me.

0 Likes
terryt120

I went from a Droid X2 to Bionic. Had I known what I know now, I would never upgraded. I am on my third Bionic, due to no connection, changed sim card as well. I was sold a phone with KNOWN issues, and I am not happy. Verizon really needs to make things work or give us a choice of ANY handset along with our upgrade back.

0 Likes
Xx_Black-out

My Samsung Charge has the same problem all of you have.

When the data connection stops, I've noticed the "data arrows" on the display ALWAYS shows a green upload arrow.  It blinks, so I'm thinking the phone is connecting to something...but only uploading.

Anyone else notice this?

0 Likes
mkettyle

I am equally upset about my Bionic --- Countless times I have spoken to a VZW representatives and heard the same thing: the issues are known, pull the battery, switch to airplane mode..I am on my third Bionic..My problems were promised to be addressed with the update --- since the update installed, my data loss is MORE frequent, as is my dibilitating heartburn with the Bionic's problems,  I believe that I purchasd e a phone that is defective and the unlimited service data plan I have is actually LIMITED.  Limited to working intermitently.  I am distressed that Verizon and Motorola will not address this properly.  

At a minimum I should be offered a new phone of my choice, a credit for my interrupted data service back to the day I purchased the phone and have my update restored back to the day if was initally available to me this year.   It is unbelievable (that the phone is still on the market ! My trust in Verizon and Motorola been completely shattered and left me pondering what to do about my relationship with Verizon.  

I have been a loyal VZW fan with 4 smart phones and unlimited data plans on all..This translates into a pricey monthly cell phone bill for me. This is the very first time in all of my years with Verizon that I am thoroughly and completely disenchanted.. I would like for the CEO s of both companies to own the problems and address them in a responsible and equitable way to make this right and restore my trust and faith in both companies. 

I would like to hear from other VZW customers who share my distress --- maybe there is strength in numbers......

0 Likes
azrua

I have owned a Bionic since October and up until Christmas Eve it has been performing flawlessly. Now, as I do my Goggling and I see the hundreds of posts about the 4g/3g issue I find myself furious. How can Verizon let this go on for so long? I really don't mind losing the 4g, after all, I really don't see much difference between 4g and 3g anyway, but even though my phone says 3g, it still has no connection. I found another post that listed a handy app called Restore Connections and it has worked most of the time, but it still bugs me that I have to do that anyway. Today however, no amount of restoring, rebooting, toggling, or anything would restore my connectivity. It has been off for a couple of hours now.

I know that the latest update was supposed to fix this issue, does anyone have the number for that update so I check mine? My phone says that I have the latest, but we all know that Verizon rolls these things out piece by piece. My current version is 5.5.893.XT875.

Grrr!

0 Likes