My DDNS won't work anymore. Should I use IPV6 or a static IP?
saintjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi. I just recently signed up for the LTE network. I have an MBR1000 Cradlepoint router connected thru a UML290 modem. My new addess is no longer publically routable (as 10.x.x.x). I need to access my home/office security camera system. I used to use DDNS with my old USB760, but this option no longer works on the new LTE net. Any suggestions from anyone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My DDNS won't work anymore. Should I use IPV6 or a static IP?
Sieb81

From what my VZ Govt Rep told me, NATing and static addresses are not available yet. That 10.x address hands off to the IPV6 4G network internally and there is no ability to route into it yet. I tried the same thing with out of our park cams and it didn't work, so I had to go back to using a Sprint card (which will work with DDNS). He said sometime this year they should have static IP's available for such a use.

0 Likes
saintjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the hope that things will change. You said that it is not possible now. Yet I saw a commercial on TV that stated "with 4G a person can access his home computer." That may not be the exact words, but they implied that this was part of the 4G experience. So if they advertise it, where are the instructions about how to do this? Or was it Verizon marketing **bleep**? Why doesn't somebody from Verizon speak up here if this is possible (like the commercial claims). Prove to us that this is not **bleep**!

0 Likes
willzzz88
Enthusiast - Level 3

VZW has deployed one of the MOST advanced 4G networks in the world.

That's #1.

#2, I believe you get a 4G IPv6 public address. It's only IPv4 that's NAT'ed because of the world shortage (everyone, their mother, their device wants an IPv4 address globally).

If you really wanted to and start to pay any enterprise web host that has IPv6 connectivity to your servers like HE.net IP transit and peering with AS701 Verizon Business IPv6 peering (which VZW DOES have with VzB and on-wards to the internet) to upload the image via IPv6. Then have software on that server serve it in any internet data-center with IPv4. (Don't have people directly access the camera's IP, the camera is uploading internet traffic via a tunnel to a website, people access that website).

#3, Create a VPN tunnel from that web camera to the management platform and assign your own private 10.x.x.x seperate from the VZW WAN interface from your VPN gateway so that a VPN tunnel between your management platform on the internet + your web camera or whatever telematic your using (credit card transactions, web camers, you get my drift) works...

It's all possible, just get someone smart enough...

0 Likes
willzzz88
Enthusiast - Level 3

The phones and any devices are already on NAT to conserve address space due to a ARIN shortage in North America. 

Every other mobile provider is doing the same thing on their phones and devices.

0 Likes
saintjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is not solved! And I did not mark it as such. And this does not answer my question.

You said "It's all possible, just get someone smart enough." Well, thanks for the compliment, and thanks for nothing.

You deceived me and the other guy who said this can't presently be done. So how much does Verizon pay you?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You should be able to unmark the thread as solved by selecting the options dropdown next to the posting by Willzz.

As the OP of the thread you should be the only one able to mark a thread as solved.  You might have accidentally done so when reviewing the posts or responding to them.

0 Likes
saintjames
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the tip. It is now unmarked.

0 Likes