NFL Mobile - High Data Usage
carcraft
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for reading my high data use problem. For the first time last Sunday Sept 13th, since i purchased my Droid Turbo, I decided to watch a live game using the NFL Mobile app. When I opened the app, it asked me to down load the newest version. So i pushed download. 5 minuts later it was only 3% downloaded and said it had another hour to go. I stopped that download and reopened it. this time download only took about 20 seconds and i opend the app. I had to reopen the app 3 times before it would actually live stream the game. i watched the game fr close to 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Right before the game ended I got a data alert from Verizon that said I had used 80% of my 10gb plan! I checked my data usage chart on my Droid turbo and it said i had just used 3.08 gb in only 1hr & 20 min!!! That is way over what Verizon says this app should be using. Thats 1/3 on my monthly data. I would not have watched the game if I woud have known that much date would be used!

Can anyone tell my why this has happened? I would love to use this app again but the Data uasge will definatly keep me from that. Thank you for any info you can give me regarding this. I dont think I did anything wrong but now I am really concerned I may go over my data allowence for this period.

Any help woud be greatly appreciated!.

Thank you,

Rob

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: NFL Mobile - High Data Usage
Weth
Legend

You were live streaming in high definition (HD). It automatically selects the definition based on the speed of the network, which in the case of LTE was fast. HD video will take 2.5 GB to 9 GB per hour. So the usage is right in line with what you would expect streaming HD video for 1 1/3 hours. If you stream while connected to wifi, you will not use your data. As this is expected data use for the time you used it, there is nothing to resolve.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'd love to take a closer look into the issue! What type of stream were you running on the device? Were you playing the game in HD or a higher definition?
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
carcraft
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your fast response! I was LIVE Streaming on Standard

Definition. I never changed the definition to anything other than what

originally came up on my screen. I dont remember seeing any other

choices for HD or other high definition. On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:43:00

-0700, Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

A message

from the Verizon Wireless Community

NFL MOBILE - HIGH DATA USAGE

created by Verizon Wireless

Customer Support in 4G LTE - View the full discussion

Phillymax2113
Enthusiast - Level 1

Had the same thing happen with phone. It keeps reopening even after closed out now it says we have used 90% of our data. Please post if u were able to get resolved. Thank you

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You were live streaming in high definition (HD). It automatically selects the definition based on the speed of the network, which in the case of LTE was fast. HD video will take 2.5 GB to 9 GB per hour. So the usage is right in line with what you would expect streaming HD video for 1 1/3 hours. If you stream while connected to wifi, you will not use your data. As this is expected data use for the time you used it, there is nothing to resolve.

carcraft
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for making me aware of this!

Rob

0 Likes
richlife69
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unless you can correct my understanding, Weth, you need to be careful about your wording.  If the customer is using Verizon 4G LTE with a Verizon router tha provides home WIFI service, then the WIFI will only pass on the datastream that is provided by the service (antenna).  So there will be no difference between a WIFI connection and the 4G LTE connection -- they are the same.

If a customer has 4G LTE service independently of a WIFI service from another company, then getting the datastream via WIFI will be based on the other companies cost for service and your statement is true. 

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

richlife69 True, but there is no benefit to connecting your Verizon phone to a Verizon wifi router, so I ask why you would even do that.

I could have been more precise, but you will see "connect to wifi " used in many recommendations with the assumption it is not a Verizon router sourced wifi. And that is a fair and logical assumption.

I doubt I confused anything more than 0.0001% of people reading the post.

Snn5
Legend

Wait, I'm confused...if I connect to a Verizon-powered wifi network I use Verizon data?

richlife69
Enthusiast - Level 3

Weth, maybe you can correct a misunderstanding.  I have a new 4G LTE internet installation.  I need to control data costs (which seem to be the OPs concern).  Data associated with my phone is more costly than data associated with the router which provides the WIFI, so I connect the phone via WIFI when in range.  So I'm in your .0001% and am confused.  Help me out here.

If you have seen all the posters here who are ranting about runaway data costs, you should understand my concern.  My understanding is that a weak signal can cause signal bounce which could escalate data usage which may the problem of many.  I have a strong signal, but am still using 1G of data a day with only internet browsing.  I'd like to to get better use from my setup, but with a retirement budget I WILL keep costs under control -- even if I have to remove the new antenna/router.

0 Likes