Need Band 5 Connectivity
PITdata

I'm using a Cradlepoint E3000 router with internal Category 18 modem to provide Internet connectivity for my home-based business, as we are too far back in the woods for any kind of wireline service.  The signal strength here is poor, so I also have a Nextivity Cel-Fi GO-X smart amplifier, which is capable of providing 100dB of gain on bands 2, 4, 5 and 13 on the Verizon network.

I am only able to get a connection over Band 13, which Cradlepoint tech support tells me is dictated by the cell tower itself, based on various algorithms.  The strongest Band 13 signal is coming from a tower 7 miles away, so our RSSNR is poor (typically no higher than 0.0 dB), so our data speeds are typically less than 2 or 3 Mbps.  There is another tower less than a mile away that will connect on Band 5 to my BlackBerry at RSSNR between 2.5 dB and 8 dB, with resulting improvement in data speeds to better than 16 Mbps, but the Cradlepoint will not connect on Band 5 and there is no Band 13 coming from this local tower.

Is there any way to connect on Band 5 or, alternatively, get Band 13 turned on at this local tower?

0 Likes
Re: Need Band 5 Connectivity
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're here to help! Are you having issues with your mobile phones connection?

EllisandraC_VZW

0 Likes
PITdata

Please read my original posting for a detailed description of the issues I'm having.

0 Likes
PITdata

An update to the situation: the Cradlepoint E3000-C18B is indeed able to connect on Band 5 and with very good data throughput during the day, but the the signal seems to degrade at night, losing speed until it eventually stops passing data. Band 13 uses lower frequency signals that better propagate through and around obstructions. Is there a way to get Band 13 activated on this tower?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure that you're able to access reliable data speeds is a must, PITdata. Please keep in mind that the connection your router uses will be dictated by the best available signal at home. We are not able to activate specific bands on a certain cell site. Your connection will be based on your router in this case. Please let us know if this helps

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes