Network Routing Problem
onedude
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is a network routing problem from the Verizon Wireless data network to the following IP addresses:

www.fastmail.fm 66.111.4.55

mail.messagingengine.com 66.111.4.51

These IP's are routed to machines located at New York Internet, www nyi.net.

All ports at these IP addresses are unavailable from the Verizon Wireless network.

This issue has existed for at least 24 hours.

Another customer with the same issue:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-BIONIC-by-Motorola/Connection-to-Fastmail-fm/td-p/672381#

Thank you for your prompt assistance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Network Routing Problem
onedude
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue has been resolved, at least in Denver.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
atMilton

Hi,

I'm the person that referred to on the link.  Can this be fixed?  When? 

Visited the Verizon store for help today.  Tried to access the Fastmail.fm websit from 7 different 3g/4g Android/iPhone sets.  I could only connect on 3 of the 7; an iPhone 3g, a Droid III 4g and an HTC 4g.  The 2 droids were running different OS loads.  I couldn't connect from the other Bionic.  The rep referred me to VZ Tech Support.  Tech support couldn't help since it wasn't their application and pointed me back to Fastmail or Motrola.

Thanks.

0 Likes
onedude
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good to hear from you. This is a deep network routing problem that the first contact tech support folks won't be able to deal with. I haven't had time to plunge into the long process of tech support yet and get things escalated to the level where they can debug these kinds of issues. Somewhere I have a direct number to the right folks in the wireless data group -- people who can mess with routers directly and do real debugging -- but I haven't had time to hunt for that number yet.

A couple of nights ago they were clearly doing some work on the data end, at least here in Denver, and all wireless data was down for hours around midnight. When they came back up the next morning, the fastmail IP's at NYI (where fastmail.fm is hosted) were no longer reachable.

I have several devices and have done a little debugging. This issue affects LTE and eHRPD, but not 1xEVDO. This would seem to indicate an internal VZW routing problem.

I don't know all the technical internals of the internetworking between LTE, eHRPD and 1xEVDO, but it could certainly be a configuration issue that went wrong when they were doing router or other network updates. These things happen. It's not a third party application issue, and given the isolation of the the issue to some (but not all) of VZW's wireless protocols, it at least seems probable that it's an internal VZW routing issue.

If it doesn't get resolved soon I'll have to take the time to get on the horn and see if I can get it escalated to the right support folks.

0 Likes
onedude
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue has been resolved, at least in Denver.

0 Likes