New 4G/3G devices seem to use a different network than 3G only devices on 3G coverage
rherman

I had a MIFI 2200 for years and it was rock solid.  I replaced it with the Samsung Hotspot and then swapped that for the MIFI 4510L.  The 4510L is better but both 4G/3G devices have a lot more problems than the old 3G only MIFI 2200.  I am in an area with no LTE and I use 3G only unless I travel.  Does anyone understand why the performance is so much different?  It appears that since this is an LTE device on a 4G plan that I am using a different network than an old 3G only device.  Does this make sense?  I will be cruising along fine on the 4510L and then all of a sudden I get a stall and pages time out and then it takes off again.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: New 4G/3G devices seem to use a different network than 3G only devices on 3G coverage
rherman
I have noticed that the MIFI keeps swapping towers in 3g even though its sitting on my desk and every time it switches towers i get a drop out. It seems like the registration process is slow when changing sites. Im guessing that since this is a SIM device the registration is different that a native 3G device.
0 Likes
Re: New 4G/3G devices seem to use a different network than 3G only devices on 3G coverage
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Not sure about the usb and mifi devices, but the Thunderbolt was using eHPRD for its 3G instead of EDVO Rev A that 3G only phones. After the "outage", my Thunderbolt will only connect to the EDVO Rev A. The eHPRD was an enhancement of EDVO Rev A that I believe allowed simultaneous voice and data connection. I could be wrong about that.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

The "old" 3G network is not the same as the "new" 4G/3G LTE network.  It's a whole new game. 

My opinion, (and I think the informed concensus) is:  If you're not in 4G territory wait till the bugs get fixed.

The "old" 3G was/is stable & reliable & slow.   The "new" 3G is just as slow as the "old" 3G, but is plagued with all the "new" problems.    4G is so fast I'm willing to put up with the hassles of being one of Verizon's Beta Testers (aka: customers),

...but at 3G speeds? ; No way.  I'd still be using my old USB760 modem & the old unlimited plan.

0 Likes
DSAKPA

Help! Thunderbolt is constantly losing internet access and therefore email access as well. No 4G in area and not expected soon. When it was purchased I was assured this would not be an issue. Is there a fix? Must re-boot several times a day, sometimes hourly!

Neander wrote:

The "old" 3G network is not the same as the "new" 4G/3G LTE network.  It's a whole new game. 

My opinion, (and I think the informed concensus) is:  If you're not in 4G territory wait till the bugs get fixed.

The "old" 3G was/is stable & reliable & slow.   The "new" 3G is just as slow as the "old" 3G, but is plagued with all the "new" problems.    4G is so fast I'm willing to put up with the hassles of being one of Verizon's Beta Testers (aka: customers),

...but at 3G speeds? ; No way.  I'd still be using my old USB760 modem & the old unlimited plan.

0 Likes
Not applicable

There are multiple things that can cause the internet connection to drop off then pick back up, but it may not all be related to the hotspot.  To rule out the hotspot being the cause of the issues, it is best to ensure the most up-to-date software is flashed onto the device.  New software just launched.  Update your software using this link:  http://support.vzw.com/system_update/lc11.html

Let us know if this fixed your issue with the connections.

0 Likes