New VZAM Upgrade & Firmware
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

I'm sure most of you have this automated, but If not I thought I'd post this alert & experiences.  Some of our posters seem to think a fresh upgrade solves all problems.

Latest numbers:  Access Manager Version: 7.6.3.4 ( 2642 j )

Firmware Version:   ....B333F.230

The 44 mg (usage applies) file downloaded in less than a minute.  You 3G folks...., well, take a lunch break.    Everything went without a hitch except that I got the ubiquitous 604 error,  but that was fixed with a cold re-boot   -to be expected with a new install.  I don't know what this upgrade fixes, but I'm OK with it.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: New VZAM Upgrade & Firmware
Jim_Kirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was wondering why when I clicked in my  VZAM help>"check for update" it kept telling me that my current version, 7.6.3.1 (2642c) was current :smileysurprised:

So, I go this vzam site and see that the 7.6.3.4(2642j) is only for certain devices:

Vzam devices

Alas, no change for the VL600.

-Jim

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Jim_Kirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was wondering why when I clicked in my  VZAM help>"check for update" it kept telling me that my current version, 7.6.3.1 (2642c) was current :smileysurprised:

So, I go this vzam site and see that the 7.6.3.4(2642j) is only for certain devices:

Vzam devices

Alas, no change for the VL600.

-Jim

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the info Neander.    Jim -  Even though I am using the VL600,  I downloaded the package (VZAM plus driver) with the latest verstion  7.6.3.4 and installed it.    Of course,  it also installs the driver for the pantech  UML290 device (and a firmware upgrade for that device only).   And then it checks to see if an older version of VZAM is installed,  If so, it will remove the older version and install the newer one.    This is not necessarily an improvement of the package combo for the VL600.  I just wanted to test it out.    It does not hurt to have the unused driver installed and it won't  be loaded until it sees the actual hardware.  In addition,  the installer does not remove the VL600 driver or any other drivers (except perhaps older versions of the Pantech driver).   I'll let you know how the "new" version works.

I don't think Verizon's idea of packaging individual drivers and versions of VZAM is such a good idea.   Newer versions of software generally should be aware of older hardware and check driver versions as well.   So there really should be two steps - first, find the latest driver (and firmware updates) and second,  install the latest user software.   Packaging causes exactly the issue we find now where a new version of user software is hidden inside a install package,  In addition, the combo download is larger and each download package must change everytime the user software is upgraded.  

--Dave

P. S.  The unwanted driver can be removed if desired.   Control Panel - Add/Remove programs. 

0 Likes
Re: New VZAM Upgrade & Firmware for the PANTECH UML290's
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry guys, it didn't occur to me that I couldn't share the joy.   I assumed VZAM was the same for all the PC-Compatible machines (vs Mac's & Linux distro's), and the firmware was specific to the modems.    Live & Learn I guess.

0 Likes
Re: New VZAM Upgrade & Firmware for the PANTECH UML290's
Jim_Kirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Neander,

No problem.  I'd much rather you tell us about something which we would otherwise miss out on.  Dave will see if the new VZAM might help a memomy leak problem he was discussing in another thread so I may yet use it.

I've got to admit its pretty cumbersome when each of the three 4G modems has its own listing for which VZAM version to use :smileysurprised:

-Jim

0 Likes
DrDad

Been using VL600 since Dec 10 although not in 4G area. Although there is a SIM failure message I am able to connect on my PC (Win XP). When I upgrade VZAM I am unable to connect. After 2 hrs. with tech support they advised uninstall upgrade and reinstall original (on CD). That worked. Tried again with latest "upgrade" with same result. Unless someone has a solution I will continue with "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

This latest VZAM update is the 1st time that it has worked as designed for me at least! I have it set to check for updates once a week. Yesterday afternoon a window popped up telling me that a newer VZAM was available. I upgraded it of course, it also upgraded the FW for my Pantech.

Does anybody know where we can find out what changes are made in what versions? VZAM is the only program that I have ever used that you can't somehow find what the change log is somehow.

Can a Verizon employee pop in and explain what the changes are please?

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

My FTP program connects regularly, where-as before I had to re-boot,  start FTP,  THEN vzam.  

Only change I've noticed.  Still getting Geiger-counter noise on speakers  -Don't think that'll ever get fixed.

0 Likes
TomThePiddler

Try here: http://support.vzw.com/system_update/uml290.html

and here for an interesting/cautionary post about the update: http://4gforums.com/thread7238.html

Tom

0 Likes