No 4G on Moto G7
dirthurts
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I have a moto G7, but can only access 3G current (LTE). I'm also seemingly throttled at 1.8 Mbps, despite 3G being able to handle higher speeds.

I'm up to date, have factory reset, and ensured I'm on the Global setting for network.

Any idea what I can do?

0 Likes
Re: No 4G on Moto G7
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate these additional details. Having this issue in more than one occasion would indicate there is an issue with the phone or settings rather than the network. Have you ever seen 4G on this device? 

MelissaP_VZW

0 Likes
dirthurts
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I tried a different G7, even tried swapping to a new SIM with no change.

So, it's definitely not my phone. It has to be something with Verizon at this  point. 

0 Likes
Dano3141
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am seeing LTE+ when using the Network Cell Info app.  This is on band 66 with an RSRP of -116 dBm.  With this network strength, I get 1 Mbps of throughput.  The TAC/ ECI I am using is 43010 / 43071264 if that is of use.

0 Likes
dirthurts
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just another update...

I've tried, so far, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. No 4G in any state at any location. 

At this point I've tried multiple Moto 7's, all unlocked. 

Anyone have any information on what is goign on? Is Verizon even looking at this? 

Verizon looked into a possible "porting issue" from another carrier, but that was also fruitless.

0 Likes
Dano3141
Enthusiast - Level 3

It doesn't seem like any changes.  I gave VZW customer service a number and time to call me to resolve this, but they never did.  I've installed the Network Cell Info to gain some insight and it looks like the bands I'm connected to just don't have a good SNR or power level in all but the big metro areas.  Perhaps the G7 radio is less sensitive.  Seems like you should expect good 4G service in a big downtown area like Raleigh or Knoxville.  The local store employee said I shouldn't expect the same speeds as big metro areas...  May just have to swap carriers, since that was the main reason I chose Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is not the experience we want you to have. We always want you to get the best signal possible. To ensure that we are looking at all aspects, please go to speedtest.net, take the test and screenshot the results to us, so that we can see what speeds you are receiving. BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
Dano3141
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've exhaustively tried to get help here.  I have a screenshot of it, but your forum tools don't work to upload a jpeg.  I've quoted my speeds earlier of 1 Mbps up and 0.01 down.   I'm done spending any more time on this.  Fortunately, I'm not stuck in a 2 year contract, so I'll be shopping around.

0 Likes
bassman3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Moto g6, and generally see LTE in the big-city suburbs.  If you don't see LTE at *all*, something sounds fishy with your phone, or SIM card.

I do have a similar problem though, and there are a couple of other threads here about a similar issue.

On my Mogo g6, while I will actually see a strong LTE signal, it *seems* like what is happening is, when there is congestion (later in the morning), I get "bumped" to 3G.  On my iPad 6th gen LTE, the experience is the same, though the indicator remains on LTE (no indication of 3G, data transfer just "hangs").

What another thread on the forum seemed to suggest is that it depends on your plan.  I'm on the 8Gb plan, but I'm worried Verizon spectrum in some locations is so limited that they "bump" people (like me) on the "lesser" plans back to 3G, so people with the "maxed-out" plans don't see the problems.  This does not make me happy.

I'm *hoping* that things get better when Verizon dumps CDMA at the end of the year, but at least for now, I can't help but wonder what other options I have for celluar service.

bassman3
Enthusiast - Level 2

In speaking with tech-support, it sounds like "de-prioritization" only happens when you go over a certain data-limit (which I don't do).

In my case, it currently sounds like some sort of "interference" (building, RF) that is causing my problem...

0 Likes