Not 4G
eelyak

There is a stretch of highway I travel everyday that shows on the map to be 4G, but it's not. Every day, twice a day, it drops to 3G when I go through there. Why does this happen and how can it be fixed?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Not 4G
rcschnoor
Legend

The coverage maps are theoretical depending on where the towers are located and how far the signal carries. It does not take into account geographic contours, buildings, power lines, foliage, etc... which can block/degrade the signal. In many cases, nothing is likely to be done to improve this area.

This is why the coverage maps state that in an area showing full coverage, there can STILL be pockets of limited or no coverage.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a similar section of highway that either is 3G or no bars of 4G. It is surrounded by trees and hills so until a tower is built right to the location, I doubt it is going to change much any time soon.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
abrown3284

I bought a house on a lake in WI that is in a LTE area. According to the maps. There is a mile radius all around the house where service is non existant. #noserviceoncastlerocklake

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

abrown3284 wrote:

I bought a house on a lake in WI that is in a LTE area. According to the maps. There is a mile radius all around the house where service is non existant. #noserviceoncastlerocklake

Which is quite possible considering the information included with Verizon's coverage maps:

These maps are not a guarantee of coverage and contain areas of no service, and are a general prediction of where rates apply based on our internal data. Wireless service is subject to network and transmission limitations, including cell site unavailability, particularly near boundaries and in remote areas. Customer equipment, weather, topography and other environmental considerations associated with radio technology also affect service and service may vary significantly within buildings. Some information on service outside the Verizon Wireless proprietary network, and we can not vouch for its accuracy.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

eelyak,

Oh my! I regret that there is a stretch of highway that doesn’t have 4G coverage. We certainly want to make sure that your phone works everywhere we go. The community members have given some helpful information. Depending on the geographic contours, foliage & how far away you are from a tower, it can limit the signal. On this particular highway, are you able to use your phone at all? Or is the concern that you are not receiving 4G?

AliciaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
abrown3284

In my case I do not get any service.  There are no bars and a "x" next to the signal strength meter.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Then it is a complete dead spot. If 4G wasn't available the phone should have switched to 3G or 1xRTT.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
eelyak

It goes to 3G, and it's just frustrating because it takes a while for the phone to revert back to 4G. I've been in this area for almost 6 years, and it didn't use to kick me into 3G. It seems like it's gotten the worst in the past year or so.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has been reallocate some of the frequencies it owns (band 4 and others) from the 1xRTT and 3G signal into the 4G LTE network. The hand off between the various frequencies have gotten more complicated as a result.

0 Likes