Re: Novatel Wireless MiFi4510L stops every 30 minutes
ngarrett

I have updated successfully using Win7 x64. I can confirm the issue is NOT resolved with this updated.

0 Likes
razorx

As suggested earlier in the thread, I set mifi to only use b/g and turned off power savings. Hasn't dropped in 3 hours where before was every 3-7 minutes.

0 Likes
hereIgo123

I downloaded the firmware update at 8:41am this morning on my laptop running Vista Premium.  No problem with the download or installation.  I've left the connection up and running to see what happens.  It worked fine for the first hour and a half while I was actually using the internet.  I'm in a 3G only area so the light was alternating between blinking violet and steady violet.  Went downstairs to get a cup of coffee and make some phone calls.  Came back up about twenty minutes later and the light had gone to solid green and the connection had dropped.  My 14 day trial period expires on Saturday and I will give Verizon credit for extending the period for another 14 days from the day I downloaded the new firmware (today).  If anyone out there is still in their 14 day trial period I strongly recommend you call or e-mail customer service and ask for an extension.  It looks like I may still have to take this device back and go back to my reliable USB connection but I'm still hoping they can get the problems fixed in the next 13 days.  I want it to work!  C'mon Verizon-restore my faith!

0 Likes
wicamper

I can also confirm that the latest firmware does not fix the issue where after approx. 30 min it will not stay connected to the Internet.  I was able to successfully download the firmware and install it via my Windows7 pc, but the issue is no better than before the new firmware release.  This is VERY FRUSTRATING VERIZON!!

0 Likes
ngarrett

Interesting - I can tentatively confirm that this issue is resolved (at least on the latest firmware) if you set the device to never enter power save, AND if the device is set to 802.11b + 802.11g wifi mode. Setting only to 802.11n does NOT resolve the issue.

0 Likes
cobmsdn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's an interesting item for everyone to digest:

We've exported the settings from a 2200 MiFi to XML and have also done the same for a 4510L MiFi.  Comparing the two, there seems to be a power setting missing between the two:

MiFi 2200:

---snip---

<Power>
    <acpower>0</acpower>
    <batpower>0</batpower>
</Power>

---snip---

MiFi 4510L:

---snip---

<Power>
    <batpower>0</batpower>
</Power>

---snip---

We've attempted to "re-add" the "missing" <acpower>0</acpower> setting to the 4510L MiFi without effect.

MESSAGE TO VERIZON:  If the customer wants their MiFi to NEVER disconnect under normal operational conditions (on AC or Battery power), please allow the device to respect this!

0 Likes
Re: Novatel Wireless MiFi4510L firmware update (MAC)
JH1937

Have tried multiple times to install the update, but continue to receive the following error message.  "The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail.  Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."  Which "software manufacturer"?

0 Likes
robbied31

I am convinced it is the 4G network!  I had the mifi 4510 for almost two weeks of my 14 day trial.  I experienced all the problems talked about in this thread.  I updated the firmward last friday and nothing changed.  I took the mifi back and exchanged it for the pantech UML290 aircard thinking that it would probably be like my good ole 3g UM150.  setup the UML290 in Modesto this weekend which only has 3g coverage and everything went fine.  Got on my jobsite in Fresno this morning only to fight with the 4G network just like with the mifi 4510.  knocked offline multiple times, switched off the 4G network to 3G multiple times, and as soon as it went "dormant" on the 4G network, I had to disconnect and reconnect.

This is why I am convinced it is the 4G network.  I have since forced the aircard to connect to 3G and all is fine for now!!!

Rob

0 Likes
cobmsdn
Enthusiast - Level 2

You may have just lucked out with your current device.  We're seeing this behavior on multiple 4510L units even with the new firmware and 3G-only locked in.  We were asked whether the laptop's WiFi drivers may have been the issue but this is also not the case.  We've gone as far as locking the WiFi configuration at 802.11b/g only with no success.

0 Likes
cobmsdn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Attention Verizon

Steps to reproduce this issue:

1.) Turn on MiFi

2.) Connect to MiFi

3.) Wait

0 Likes