Paid Mobile Broadband/WIFI use
DianneinVermont

I have iphone 4 since 2/2011 and pay $20 month extra thru Verizon for Mobile Broadband connect. I thought this meant I would have internet access, but it has never worked correctly unless I am at home and it shows phone connected thru my Apple WIFI. So, when I am traveling I have to constantly search for network whether using iphone or laptop. What am I doing wrong? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Paid Mobile Broadband/WIFI use
YaleK_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello DianneinVermont,

I can definitely clarify the service you are paying for and make sure you get the value you deserve.  On an iPhone you will pay for a data package that provides internet to the phone directly.  The $20 add-on feature will give you the option of Mobile Hotspot, previously known as Mobile Broadband Connect.  This allows you 2GB of data to use on Wi-Fi devices connected to the phone.  You will have the option of directly tethering with USB or Bluetooth as well.  It sounds like you have the iPhone linked with your home Wi-Fi network which is a great way to increase data speeds on the phone itself but will not affect the Hotspot connection as that will always use the Verizon network.  To access the Mobile Hotspot feature:

1. From the home screen, select Settings
  2. Select Personal Hotspot.
  3. Enable Personal Hotspot
    If prompted, select the appropriate setting.  
    1. Turn on Wi-Fi - Personal HotSpot over Bluetooth, USB, and Wifi
    2. Bluetooth and USB only - Personal Hotspot over Bluetooth and USB only
  4. The Personal Hotspot name will be displayed within quotes beneath the Personal Hotspot switch.
     *Other users can look for your shared network using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth under the name "15-4-1391".
  5. The Wi-Fi Password will be displayed in the Wi-Fi password field.
    *To change the password, select the Wi-Fi Password field.
  6. Enter/edit the Wi-Fi password then select Done.
    *The Wi-Fi password must contain at least eight characters.
  7. On your laptop or other Wi-Fi enabled device you will see the SSID for the phone.
  8. Enter password displayed on the phone to authorize..

Keep in mind that while Hotspot is turned on all data used will count towards 2GB allowance, even when using on iPhone directly.  So when it is not needed for tethering be sure to turn it off.  To monitor your data usage download the My Verizon app, dial #DATA, or log into My Verizon. If you need any further assistance or clarification please let me know.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Paid Mobile Broadband/WIFI use
YaleK_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello DianneinVermont,

I can definitely clarify the service you are paying for and make sure you get the value you deserve.  On an iPhone you will pay for a data package that provides internet to the phone directly.  The $20 add-on feature will give you the option of Mobile Hotspot, previously known as Mobile Broadband Connect.  This allows you 2GB of data to use on Wi-Fi devices connected to the phone.  You will have the option of directly tethering with USB or Bluetooth as well.  It sounds like you have the iPhone linked with your home Wi-Fi network which is a great way to increase data speeds on the phone itself but will not affect the Hotspot connection as that will always use the Verizon network.  To access the Mobile Hotspot feature:

1. From the home screen, select Settings
  2. Select Personal Hotspot.
  3. Enable Personal Hotspot
    If prompted, select the appropriate setting.  
    1. Turn on Wi-Fi - Personal HotSpot over Bluetooth, USB, and Wifi
    2. Bluetooth and USB only - Personal Hotspot over Bluetooth and USB only
  4. The Personal Hotspot name will be displayed within quotes beneath the Personal Hotspot switch.
     *Other users can look for your shared network using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth under the name "15-4-1391".
  5. The Wi-Fi Password will be displayed in the Wi-Fi password field.
    *To change the password, select the Wi-Fi Password field.
  6. Enter/edit the Wi-Fi password then select Done.
    *The Wi-Fi password must contain at least eight characters.
  7. On your laptop or other Wi-Fi enabled device you will see the SSID for the phone.
  8. Enter password displayed on the phone to authorize..

Keep in mind that while Hotspot is turned on all data used will count towards 2GB allowance, even when using on iPhone directly.  So when it is not needed for tethering be sure to turn it off.  To monitor your data usage download the My Verizon app, dial #DATA, or log into My Verizon. If you need any further assistance or clarification please let me know.

0 Likes