PanTech UML290 - Northern Virginia Disconnects
usher

So I've recently purchased the PanTech UML 290 and for the most part have definitely liked the coverage and speed of the device - amazing to see broadband speeds of the air.

The only caveat is the device disconnecting from the web every so often (say 10 minutes after connect).  I'm located in Northern Virginia in areas that have 2/3 bars out of 4 using the VZAccessManager software.

Anyone else have any thoughts or troubleshooting tips?

Thanks in Advance!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: PanTech UML290 - Northern Virginia Disconnects
Royedw

I'm having the same problem in Central VA. I've Googled and searched, so far no advice to this issue,.. but I am disconnecting about every 10 minutes or so. Another issue I'm having, I set the preferences to automatically connect and the upgraded VZAccess will not do it, I've tried uninstalling the software to reinstall and it WILL NOT completely uninstall.... ( and I just disconnected again). Going to try a phone call but what a pain!!

0 Likes
Royedw

Go to the link below,.. I commented before, then found what I think is a solution,.. I followed the administrators steps for power management and it seems to work, I haven't had a disconnect for a while now. Try this...

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Broadband-Netbook-MiFi-Devices/UML290-4G-Device/m-p/349756

Roy

0 Likes
usher

While that solution sounds promising, it happened yet again where I'm "connected" but with effectively zero throughput (surprisingly DNS lookups still work though).

Thanks for the tip, time to go and file a complaint with customer service.

0 Likes
usher

After modifying the suspend USB option, there wasn't much change, though I did end up with a 35 minute session later in the evening that I ended up disconnecting when I needed to leave (session wasn't terminated on network side).

I sent a note via Twitter to "@vzwsupport" with the following message, I think you'll find their reply to be somewhat "interesting"

@VZWSupport is it just the LTE network is so new, or is it normal to get disconnected every 10 minutes using the PanTech UML290 in DC area? (http://twitter.com/usher/status/18876839955009537)

@usher Try to delete then reinstall the VZ software. *ZC (http://twitter.com/VZWSupport/status/19085351356203008)

@VZWSupport I really hope that you're kidding me that a reinstall of VZAccessManager will change network stability? (http://twitter.com/usher/status/19091322526760960)

I've tried this across multiple laptops and the fact that I had a 35 minute session with no issues really makes me wonder.

Reinstalling bits isn't going to solve something if it's the same bits.

0 Likes
KXDAD31

I am in Tennessee and went to the store today to upgrade my Fivespot to the PAntech 4G but they had pulled them all and would not sell me 1 due to the issues that you all are discussing.

FYI.

They could not give me an availibilty date.

0 Likes
foofoo

You must configure the modem for 3g only or 4g only, then it will stop disconnecting. See http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3488/63/ for instructions. Verizon is selling  a defective modem or defective software, not sure which. Anyway, this will fix your problem, but the modem will not automatically switch back and forth between 3g and 4g. You will have to reconfigure when you need to switch.

0 Likes
usher

So I attempted this configuration change and it didn't change much.  Oddly I did this error message in the Field Test log:

EVDO Release - **bleep** releases call with no reason given

Still somewhere around 10-12 minutes I would maintain "connection" but traffic received or sent was zilch - oddly NS lookups still work.  Further, Windows Live Messenger troubleshooting would state that the Default Gateway was not available.

So I've submitted the information to the Northeast Internet Response Center and waiting to hear back.

Either the base stations are still going through growing pains or the hardware has significant issues.

Not amused since I've had 45+ minute sessions that have been flawless.

0 Likes
usher

So I still haven't received a ticket from Verizon support from a call I had with them several nights ago regarding the corrections of a network node that they were going to work on near where I was having issues.

Frustratingly though, the entire LTE network seems to still be pretty flawed.  Sitting in Herndon, VA today and the longest data connection I've been able to maintain is 13 minutes before the traffic stops passing (even though VZAccessManager still states I'm connected).

I'm not quite certain if this is the device malfunctioning or if this is the network having "at cause" issues.

Further, since Wednesday my "location" according to the IP pool that I'm hitting is out of the Witchita, KS area - almost as though the Virginia nodes are being serviced by another part of the country.

Verizon, what's going on?

0 Likes
mc_oh

Having the same problem in SE Ohio - TX/RX flatlines after a few minutes (or seconds), modem may or may not disconnect at this point. Did the uninstall/reinstall several times (including updated software rev. from 1/28), no help there. Talked extensively w/tech support, and went through the control-d modem settings to set on 3G only, which helps, but the settings won't stay put and need re-entered next time around. My problem has been "escalated" and I was given a number...we'll see.

0 Likes