Phone loses signal, doesn't reconnect automatically
SomeCoolDude
Enthusiast - Level 1

Switched from AT&T a few weeks ago.  When driving to work in the mountains (near Yosemite, CA), I drive through an area where I lose cell phone coverage on/off again for about 20 minutes.  Once I arrive in the city with reception (Mariposa) or coming back (Ahwahnee/Oakhurst), randomly the cell phone does not reconnect to the network.  I pull my phone out of my pocket and it shows "no service" (brand new phone, Samsung S21 Ultra).  I have actually tried this with 2 different Samsung S21 Ultras, one that is "blank" - brand new, nothing moved over from a previous phone - and another one that has all my stuff copied.   Both phones behave the same way.

There is a solution - turn on "airplane mode", wait 15 seconds, and then switch airplane mode off.  It grabs the signal with no issue.  But unless I want to restart the phone, or doing the airplane on/off trick, the phone just sits there with no connection.  This is really frustrating because I have to keep checking my phone to make sure I have service, and I can miss important calls/texts.  Since this is obviously during a commute, I would also have to do this WHILE DRIVING. This never happened with AT&T.  I have tried resetting the network connections, but that did not make a difference.  I asked other users in the area and they said they too have this issue, but just deal with it.

The root of the problem seems to revolve around the phone not automatically reconnecting after it loses service.  The phone doesn't just randomly lose service - it goes through an area with no service, and then just never reconnects.

I'm not sure why this only happens on Verizon's network - and, frustratingly, why it is not consistent.  At first it seemed like the problem was only in the arrival city (Mariposa), but now it actually happens both ways... but it won't happen every day or every time I make the trip.  

Re: Phone loses signal, doesn't reconnect automatically
jmrogers
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an unlocked Pixel 5 and recently transferred service to Verizon. And I'm experiencing the same issue

I've tried removing/reinstalling my SIM. I even got a new SIM, but noticed my phone regains network connection when I restart my phone.

Verizon has not been able to help much, and some techs even tried to tell me my unlocked phone isn't compatible with Verizon. 

Is this a phone, SIM, or carrier issue??

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Also, I'm not able to add my Pixel 5 to the Associated Products of my post. Only the Pixel 6 shows.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand the frustration if service is lost & not reestablished automatically until you restart the device. Does the loss of signal happen more so in one particular area? Since transferring your service & dealing with this issue, have you attempted to factory reset your device to retest the issue? Of course, making sure your information is backed up prior to the reset. 

-Joey

0 Likes
Blackgsd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Did you ever get an answer to this question? My phone does this regularly and I have to restart the phone several times before it finally connects. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want your phone to stay connected, Blackgsd! What make and model phone do you have? How long has this been happening?

-Nikki

0 Likes
Blackgsd
Enthusiast - Level 1

iPhone 13

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Blackgsd, the iPhone 13 is an awesome phone. Let's get the issue you are having resolved. Has any troubleshooting been done? Please share a screenshot that shows the software that's installed on the phone. Settings > General > Software update. 

-Jacob

0 Likes
rwade12
Enthusiast - Level 2

My pixel 4A with Android 13 started doing this a month or so ago. Quite a few people have this problem with the latest Android 13 update. Google will not acknowledge that it could be a problem on their end. Having to do a factory reset is one of those one-size-fits-all answers. I have never had this problem with any Android phone since Android 4, I haven't had it on this phone that started with Android 12 and then got 13, but now it's a problem after an update. Google needs to fix this.

0 Likes