Re: Please read. Interesting article on the 4G LTE signal issue
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@Castlefinder
I would also uninstall that App Killer. You. Do. Not. Need. It.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
techbeck

None of the usual tricks are working for me.  Monday/Tuesday of this week I had great 3g connectivity where I live now and when I went to a 4g area, I had that as well.  Now, no matter what I do, I have no 3g or 4g at all.  Talked to phone support for an hour and went to the store for another 2hrs.  Other LTE phones at Verizon are working just fine and employees are having no problem.  And 3g only phones are working great.

Verizon needs to fix this YESTERDAY as I am paying for a service I cannot use and paying for a 300+ phone that is only good for phone alls and plain texts.  Had T-Mobile for 10 years and NEVER had this kind of problem with data connectivity.  Only reason I switched from TMO was beacause the area I lived in had a really slow data connection and was told Verizon was tons better.  Wish I would of kept TMO.  Would rather have a slow connection than non at all.

0 Likes
Castlefinder

Hi Ann, thaks for the advice. So what do I need to do to conxerve battery life since a lot of apps are always running in the background? Battery life on 4G stinks.

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

Interesting read. I had a 3 G phone and switched to a 4G phone when the technology became available.  I have lost count of the number of  VW smartphones I have sent back since November 2010. I kept telling them that this was a bigger problem than simply hardware and they looked at me with glazed eyes.

Finally, one astute sales rep suggested that the best phone for me would be a 3G phone.  Now that phone also has its quirks but I have stepped away from the 4G issues for the time being.  That being said, I am really mad that a) I paid for a 4G phone during the first week of its sales including an extra battery and now I have a 3G phone(I had a 3G smartphone already) and they gave me no money back and b) they didn't rewind my upgrade date back to the original date and now I have to wait the full 2 years with this old tech phone. 

I wonder, will it be better in 2012?  I'm sitting here with a friend fiddling with their 3G IPhone that they just got and right now, I am really liking it and wishing I could get the 4G version but after reading this, maybe not.  Maybe by the time my current upgrade date rolls around the 4G network might be...different?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
You do not need an app killer imho. Killing processes blindly could have adverse effects to your device. A cached process doesn't consume power. Forcing it's removal then having Android bring it back due to improper closing of that process will consume more.
0 Likes
DennyInDayton

This explains the problems I'm having with my 4510L MiFi.  Verizon contends I may have signal problems (which would be contributory if true) even though I am close to the towers.  I keep having conection problems losing the internet, but being contected to the MiFi.  It almost never drops down to 3G which it shoudl if there is a 4G problem.  If it's authentification as suggested it would lock me out of both instead of dropping down which is exactly what is happening.

I just got an Omni antena which I will put up and see if that at least helps some.  Very helpful article.  We're probably ulitimately at the mercy of the OEM's to provide updated software to phone home to the towers more often.

0 Likes
StevGnex
Enthusiast - Level 2

my Gnex had voice/data signal for 1 1/2d 12/24-25/2011, 45min south of chicago; lost both for 2hrs then voice returned after cold boot phone; never had data until back in south IL, effingham, near home area. MAKING certain w/ data enabled, 3g/4g neither received.  Now in home area Marion,IL (big ?main cell tower)  NICE blue 3-4 bars 3g and 1-2 bars 4g (fringe of servc); weak signal areas white/gray bars = phone with noisy connection but no data connection.  Also while south of chgo, tried a VZW 3g mifi unit; so WIFI enabled-gnex, since phone couldnt data connect - phone picked up only good signal- when same room with no obstructions and no more than 10ft away; VS my wifes stratosphere puts my new phone's signal reception/connection to shame in all above receive modes. When in good signal area my gnex can fnx well. My gnex even has (as posted on Dforums) an icl update which is supposed fix signal reception issue. Dont think its whole answer with what issue I justed had.

0 Likes
louise3000

Take a look at Juice Defender.  It will turn off data and put you on 3G or 4G, whatever is available - this take less battery life.  I also just downloaded Active Apps (Market or XDA Developers).  It will help you keep apps closed that are not being used but didn't shut down properly.  Between the 2, there is a definite increase in battery life - although certainly not enough to be happy with the 4G Androids that are now available.

Waiting for the Windows phone.

Louise

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

louise3000 wrote:

Take a look at Juice Defender.  It will turn off data and put you on 3G or 4G, whatever is available - this take less battery life.  I also just downloaded Active Apps (Market or XDA Developers).  It will help you keep apps closed that are not being used but didn't shut down properly.  Between the 2, there is a definite increase in battery life - although certainly not enough to be happy with the 4G Androids that are now available.

Waiting for the Windows phone.

Louise

pointless to use JD.  If you are having authentification problems it will always cause your device to drop signal and no chance of getting it back.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

This does sound exactly like what could be happeneing.  

John, I don't think it's a DHCP problem as I never lose an IP lease and also a ping will continue to go through.  The connection itself is not dropping what is happening is data is failing to continue flowing through.  This could be explained by fact if they lose authentication they probably wont' actually sever connection as they have to keep that open to continue trying to authenticate, but they would cut the data flow until authentication was renewed.

Sounds like the problem is defined, now it's just a matter of someone either figuring out a hack to fix it outside of Verizon, or Verizon fixing the problem.  I think the former is more likely in short term than the latter.....

0 Likes