Pondering 4G in Atlanta for all internet service
Pgood

Hi all,

I'm currently up for a phone upgrade, and I'm thinking about getting an LTE capable smartphone for use as my standard home internet service. I was wondering if there were any people from Atlanta with good experience using their LTE capable smartphone as a wireless hotspot in their home, and if has good enough latency to sustain gaming on Xbox Live. If so, I might be able to cancel my awful and expensive Comcast service and get something just as good for half the price.

Even if not in Atlanta, LTE experiences in this vein are welcome from any city.

Thoughts?

Pgood

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Pondering 4G in Atlanta for all internet service
budone
Legend
If you plan to hook up your device to a.PC for internet, understand the charge for tethering is $20/2GB. Hardly economical
0 Likes
Pgood

At $20 a month and possibly faster speeds and better customer service than what I'm getting for $60 a month, that's probably fine.

But that's only if tethering is good enough for Netflix and Xbox Live. Thus the question remains.

0 Likes
Pgood

Oo, didn't see that per 2 GB part. Not unlimited with tethering huh? Yikes. Maybe I'll stick with the land service.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

No, not unlimited for tethering or a hotspot.

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you for your inquiry.  Adding to what was stated, if you desire to use a 4G service Atlanta, GA. the service is available. I am providing a link showing the coverage map below. However, the Mobile Hot Spot is currently for 3G devices for those wishing to use a portable gaming system such as Xbox Live. The cost would be for $20.00 for a monthly allowance of 2 Gigabytes. This feature then would be added to your data plan on the device your wishing to use for connecting onto the Verizon Wireless Network. The link is http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST  

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

I believe Sprint is offering "unlimited"  4G data plans - probably a promotion (limited 3G)  - I don't know what kind of equipment they use or how widely deployed they are.   It's worth a little research.  

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I am hearing horrendous stories about Clear, which is what Sprint sells. It is unlimited but if they love to throttle.

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah, "nice" words -  throttle,  soft-limit,  choke, interfere,  monkey-with, restrain,   etc.   :smileyhappy:   No doubt,  as these systems approach their data transmission capacity, and there always is one,  some kind of limit will be used to share resources among their customers.   Most providers  already prioritize data  from customers e.g. a low DSL home customer will "experience" delays compared to a higher-tier customer.   Controlling average data rate (speed)  is typically the most effective way to "throttle" customers.   It also makes sense at the provider system level -  these effects are most noticeable at "rush hour"  when the highway is clogged but some people get to use the  HO  "VIP"  lane.   DNS services (DN lookup delays are common with low priority customers).  

0 Likes