Poor LTE Chicago loop
VzwChi

Anyone else experiencing very poor LTE speeds in the loop? Speeds are consistently less than 1mb and anything data related is useless while in multiple outdoor locations. Switching off 4G provides more reliable data service. Voice service is fine. I filed a trouble ticket but no response yet.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Poor LTE Chicago loop
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi VzwChi,

I don't want any of our customers to have issues and I am here to help! Do you experience the issue in or outdoors? Current zip code? When did the problem begin? I can happily review your account in an effort to identify if a resolution has been provided. Please DM me your name and wireless number. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter

0 Likes
VzwChi

I can't seem to send you a DM since we are not connected.  Here is all the relevant data (minus my name and phone number).

Zip code is 60606.  Slow speeds are outside, tested at multiple locations throughout downtown chicago. Using Speedtest.net, the Ping times remain good (less than 75 ms), bars of signal fine (3 or more bars) but the LTE download speeds are less than 1.0Mbps with webpages, email, etc difficult to load.  Problems started about a month ago.  I am using an Iphone 5 with the latest software.  I have taken the sim card out and reset networking settings on the phone.  Neither has made a difference.  Speeds are better in areas outside the loop (downtown area).

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
VzwChi

AyaniB_VZW- I figured out how to connect via DM (message just sent).  I hope you can find out what is going on with the network in the loop area of downtown Chicago.  Thanks

0 Likes
ltechicago

Same problem here. 3+ months ago speeds were consistently in the 10mbps range at my desk at work. Now i get 0.20mbps. At home I get 15 mbps. I have filed 2 trouble tickets with Verizon and they just close them every time saying they are "fixed". They are not fixed, my data service does not work reliable enough to even do a speed test half of the time. My coworkers see the same thing, one has abandoned verizon for a competitor due to this issue.

Tickets:

>>ticket numbers removed<<

Area code 60604.

Interestingly, after I put in these tickets someone from Verizon called me about upgrading one of my lines where the contract is up. I told them not a chance unless they can fix my data. The person from Verizon said "you're the second person I've talked to today that has a problem with data service in Chicago."

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
ltechicago

It is worth mentioning that if i arrive in the area early enough (6:30am) speeds are great 15mpbs down. However, as soon as we hit normal working day hours, the speeds go back to useless.

0 Likes
ltechicago

6:30am - 15mbps

7:15am - 2mbps

8:45am - 0.20mbps initially, then upload test failed, timeout.

I have not moved in my seat at my desk. Verizon's recent ad campaign is especially funny to me since it is the opposite of my experience. It reminds me of ATT when they first had the iphone.

0 Likes
ltechicago

Finally got a call back from technical support after 2-3 months of trying to get an answer. Posting here so others can hopefully find this since Verizon was such a pain to get an actual answer. When I finally did talk to someone they were very helpful.

Paraphrasing Verizon's response here:

There are many people upgrading to 4g LTE phones so they are over capacity in the area. They are aware of the problem. They have planned all the projects for the year and dont have anything on any roadmap to address this that they can commit to. Suggestion was to download a 3g/4g toggle app and use 3g data instead. There will be no compensation or billing adjustments for lack of 4g data.

Summing it up: Network is over capacity, they know about it, workaround is to use 3g instead.

Smiley Sad

0 Likes
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

Deja Vu!
See https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/981079#981079  in NYC.
Seems all "big market" areas are suffering right now...Verizon claims to be aware...make no visible improvements...offer no roadmaps.  Awesome, big win for the customers!  (Extreme sarcasm)

0 Likes