Poor LTE speeds in Houston area
cjbeau72

I have been experiencing very poor LTE speeds in and around Houston for some time now.  Speedtests in a number of areas are generally between 2-3 Mbps down and 1-2 up.  I am using a Droid Razr Maxx.  When i use wifi it is noticeably faster when using the iinternet.  I am primarily in zip code 77584, but experience the same speeds in 77571 and anywhere in and around the south side of Houston.

Anyone else experiencing the same poor service?  Any ideas out there??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor LTE speeds in Houston area
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there cjbeau72,

Let's get you back in the fast lane. Thanks for providing the zip codes. I have reviewed both and everything looks good in those areas.

Do these issues primarily occur indoors or outdoors as well? Does service improve outside those zip codes? Which make and model device are you using?

Please provide additional details so that I can better assist.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cjbeau72

Hello and thank you for responding.  This issue does not improve if i move outdoors.  I have checked the speeds in several different zip codes in my area, 77546, 77598, 77571, 77034 to name a few.  I do get poor reception in my office at work (77571), but i know that is structure related.  It does improve when moving outside there, but only to minimal speeds of 1-3 Mbps down.

I am on a Droid Razr Maxx as mentioned in the previous post.  It is the original Maxx (XT912), not the HD or the newest one.

Let me know what else you need to know.

Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much for the additional details cjbeau72. We absolutely want to get to the bottom of this! I did see that these locations span anywhere from 5 - 20 miles in distance. I also see that there are some small patches of what we call "Extended 4G LTE". This Extended 4G LTE is provided via a partnership with other companies to provide additional coverage. This may be the reason for the slower speeds.

However since you're experiencing the concerns in so many locations I would like to ensure it's not your device that may have the concern. First, what software version do you have? Here's how to check: http://vz.to/179ihMA
Does your device have any physical or liquid damage?
What is your Network Type and Strength in these areas?: http://vz.to/1asz2T1

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
cjbeau72

Hello,

I am on baseband version CDMA_N05.21.00R LTEDC_U_09.1D00

My phone is in great condition, no damage.

Where i am now i am getting --85dBm on 1x and -102 dBm on 4G.

One thing i see sometimes is download speeds slower than upload speeds.  I did some tests in different areas today and did get up to 9 Mbps download on occasion.  This was mostly along roads or highways.

Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

cjbeau72,

Just what we needed to know. Given your description of the issue, let's zero in on your device. For starters, do you remove/reinsert the SIM often? That forces your device to process a resync with our network for optimal performance. Additionally, do you have data roaming enabled? Please go to settings > more > mobile networks > global data roaming access > allow access. Please try those steps and share results.

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SmilingBob

You are not the only one.  We are in the League City / Clear Lake area with the same issues.  Earlier this weekend the 4G actually came to a screeching halt, with 1-200k down but less than dialup speed on the upload with ping times in the 700-1000 range.  My phone wouldn't complete a speed test it was so bad and this lasted friday evening through early saturday.  Our normal speeds range from 20+Mbps during non-peak times to less than 3G speeds during peak.  I use LTEOnOff app to change to 3G whenever the 4G LTE grinds to slowdown. We have a pair of 4G phones so I know it is not my devices that are the issue.

Regardless of what is stated to you otherwise, the network is just congested.  There are to many devices sold and being used during peak times without the infrastructure to support it.  I'm pretty sure this is why the "Share Everything" plans were introduced since this seemed like an easy fix for an expensive problem.  It's not working.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to enjoy the fastest speeds as much as possible SmilingBob! What is your zip code? What make and model devices? How long has this been going on? What type of location is this? Inside your home or workplace? Speeds can vary and may decrease during peak usage times. The average speeds for 4G are within 5-12 Mbps.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
ClayInTheCity

It is consistently bad, sometimes totally unuseable along the Houston ship channel. It used to be excellent and far better than AT&T's, but now it's just garbage.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello ClayInTheCity, being on top of your data speeds is vital, especially if it's been bad along the Houston ship channel. When did the issues start? What recent change have occurred? What exactly happens when you try to use it?

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes