Re: Press release from FCC concerning tethering.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

But which smartphone data plan do you have, Brian68?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ann154 wrote:

But which smartphone data plan do you have, Brian68?

2 GB for $30.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

As far as I know now, you will have to change that plan to one that includes the mobile hotspot feature or switch to the share everything plan.

If things are changed because of this Tethering decision, then you might not need to change anything. You can wait and see if things are different.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Press release for FCC concerning tethering.
pwt

Not true. Unlimited plans are included. The actual ruling was regarding c-block rules and restriction of applications. Nothing to do with unlimited vs. tiered.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Ann154 wrote:

As far as I know now, you will have to change that plan to one that includes the mobile hotspot feature or switch to the share everything plan.

If things are changed because of this Tethering decision, then you might not need to change anything. You can wait and see if things are different.

Sorry but the FCC statement CLEARLY states Verizon has to provide free tethering and can't force you to change plans.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Brian68 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

Sorry but the FCC statement CLEARLY states Verizon has to provide free tethering and can't force you to change plans.

If so, then this will certainly start a countdown for ANYONE still with unlimited data who is out of contract.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Don't think that's what the FCC ruling is about.  The C Block rule says Verizon "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network".  Doesn't mean they have to allow those on unlimited plans to tether to their hearts content for free.  By putting the apps back in the market, they're complying with the ruling and going to use the "reasonable network management" as a reason not to change their TOS in regards to tethering.

budone
Legend

Here is the full decree. I have not read it yet

Order and Consent Decree, Verizon Wireless to Pay $1.25 Million | FCC.gov

Some notes after reading it. It looks like there is a 60 day window for this to occur.

The other important piece which I spoke of earlier in the thread is below.

One thing I notice is the comment, "

Verizon Wireless customers on usage-based plans who subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect

for tethering may terminate their subscription to that service without penalty."

That tells me to get free tethering, ya must switch to the Share Everything plans....

So..... nothing new except the penalty

Other Actions

. Verizon Wireless commits that it will notify, or has notified, the

Application Store Operator that it no longer objects to the availability of the eleven tethering

Applications described in paragraph 4 to Verizon Wireless C-Block Network customers in the

Application Store. On June 28, 2012, Verizon Wireless modified its pricing plans to allow

customers on usage-based plans to tether their devices without paying an additional fee, while

customers on unlimited usage plans must continue to pay an additional fee to tether their devices.

Verizon Wireless customers on usage-based plans who subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect

for tethering may terminate their subscription to that service without penalty.

Message was edited by: budone

Message was edited by: budone

0 Likes
B33
Legend
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

AT&T may be safe since it's looks like only the upper c block is subject to the additional rules.  AT&T has the lower part of the 700MHz spectrum.  http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/31/technology/verizon-tethering-apps/index.htm